Install America Quote for Earthwise Windows - Help Needed

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
MasyCoop

Install America Quote for Earthwise Windows - Help Needed

#1 Post by MasyCoop »

We just got a quote for 21 double hung, tilt in, w/grids windows from Install America. The quote is 10K for all 21. The window is a vinyl replacment called the Windstopper and the glass is the super 24 which incorporates 24 layers of heat reflective metallic shields sputtered into the window glass.

They say the window is fiberglass insulated and has an R-value of nearly 13.

That price comes w/full installation and removal of old windows. Lifetime warrenty by them and Good Housekeeping. They tell me if I don't save at least 50% on my gas/electric bill they will pay the difference.

What I am not sure of is am I getting a good deal. Are the windows junk.

Any feedback would be great. I am in DE.
Thanks
Jen

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Install America Quote for Earthwise Windows - Help Needed

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Is this the window you saw?

.........Fiberglass filled. OMG :shock:

MasyCoop

#3 Post by MasyCoop »

yes it is. is that bad?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window4U is joking about the fiberglass.

It provides no insulation in this application and is purely for a sales pitch. Even if they insulated their frames with foam...the impact would be negligible at best.

They are dealing in half-truths at best. Be aware of that before you make a decision.

harsue123

#5 Post by harsue123 »

Hi Jen, I read your comments from Install America. They were here yesterday selling us windows. We signed a contract for 14 S12 windows for $9400 and then read your posting. I called them and they said that they couldn't buy the windows for what you paid for. They dropped the price to $9148 for the 14 windows and upgraded to the S24. I still don't feel like it is even close to what they quoted you and I wanted to know if you actually bought from them and did they install them and where were they purchased? They said they don't have to meet your quoted prices as they don't know who you are and don't know if some window company trying to undermine them posted your post. Please, as soon as you can get in touch with me. I have two days to cancel. Thank you very much. Harriet

PS If I can prove that your quote is correct I will have more back up for them to have to reduce our cost.

thermal99

#6 Post by thermal99 »

why are you playing games with this company? even if they did come in with a low ball price to the other poster,why does that mean they have to come in that low for you? perhaps there were extenuating circumstances or your job requires more labor; maybe this other poster is not being strainght. if you like the window and the company,sign the contract and go ahead with the install. don't start playing games with the price,you may regret it.

harsue123

#7 Post by harsue123 »

I am not trying to low ball. I just don't want to pay more than the job is worth. That is why I want to find out if Jen actually did go with Install America and if she did, is she happy with her purchase. You make it sound like I am trying to get something for nothing. No, I just don't want to regret my purchase.

thermal99

#8 Post by thermal99 »

i have a bad habit of being overly harsh when i feel someone is just trying to get a great price. i apologize. when it comes to windows, ts very difficult to get a good window with a quality install for a cheap price. quality comes with a premium. cheaper is ALWAYS more expensive when it comes to windows.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Harsue123,

I'm curious why you suddenly feel you may not have gotten the best price on the windows? I'm assuming you got a few estimates and got a feel for what the going rate for windows in your area is, didn't you? If so, why the second thoughts now?

booschang

#10 Post by booschang »

Window4U (IL) wrote:Is this the window you saw?

.........Fiberglass filled. OMG
Window4U, Why scoff at the mention of fiberglass but fail to acknowledge that R 12.6 is THREE TIMES BETTER than windows costing THREE TIMES AS MUCH as Jen's quote? Yes, as a matter of fact I do have a folder full of them :wink:

The pic you posted is a windjammer with heat mirror. Jen's quote was for the Windstopper double hung with Super 24 glass, a DP-55, R 12.6, U 0.26, SGHC 0.19 window... without the added expense of a third pane or krypton gas. I know it well. The fact that its sold by the company that sets the installation standard (literally) for the northeast is just the gravy on the bisquit. As a window professional who knows good windows from bad I'm surprised that you didn't tell her to snatch it up like the last chicken wing at the free buffet.

Anyone that takes the time to examine the construction and components used in this frame design will see that they are the finest available today bar none. All those little things add up to an amazing window at an amazing price. It comes with a transferable life-of-the-home warranty too, but I doubt you'll ever need it.

Jen, I'm sorry it took me so long to get here. I sincerely hope that you accepted that offer.

Booschang
Window-vangelist
Odds of this post getting deleted = 99%

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Decent window at best. Sashes operate very smoothly. I don't care for the appearance of the beveled screentrack exterior personally, they could have done a lot better with that. A window for the North East with a SHGC of .19 would not be my first choice. Any sales rep or company that trains their guys/gals to promote 50% energy savings claims should have Terminators target them for good old 80's action movie style destruction.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:Decent window at best. Sashes operate very smoothly. I don't care for the appearance of the beveled screentrack exterior personally, they could have done a lot better with that. A window for the North East with a SHGC of .19 would not be my first choice. Any sales rep or company that trains their guys/gals to promote 50% energy savings claims should have Terminators target them for good old 80's action movie style destruction.
+1

The fact that this windows is sold by by the company that sets the installation standard that claims 50% energy savings is reason enough for me to stay away from them.

I don't care if the window was the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you make those kind of unenforceable claims, all the while knowing that the customer has very little recourse and will never get to that number, your position of authority and honor are shot in my eyes.

booschang...you aren't going to claim that this window is going to save you 50% are you now?

As Delaware Mike mentioned, SHGC numbers are off for this area as well. At 0.19, that is not a good choice for Deleware.

Why are people quoting R-Values for frames anyway? That number is designed to confuse the customer into thinking that this if the R-Value of their window. While I acknowledge that an insulated, by air chamber or insulation (preferrably foam), is better, it is ultimately very little in the overall efficiency picture. Fiberglass resin frames are less insulated but their window performance is comparable and better than most of their vinyl counterparts.

Window R-Value is 3.85...why even throw out the R-12.6 number.

Fiberglass as and insulation is worthless for the most part. As soon as that fiberglass sags or looses contact with any part of the window, it is worthless. Again, putting it in there is misleading at best. If they want insulation, foam is the far better option.

Skydawggy

#13 Post by Skydawggy »

If you simply look at the extrusion of this window, one would conclude it was not a very well designed window based on the internal structure. Most of the better windows on the market have multiple chambers for structural integrity. This one is just a hollow extrusion stuffed with fiberglass. Does it at least have metal reinforcements at the meeting rail?

Sounds like the Marketing Dept. is a little over-amped on this one.

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

I was at the Slocum plant this past week. They were trying to push this window line on me, it's the 477 series. I also met Carl Slocum and walked the entire plant.

The window has average numbers and as WOW said it's not a good choice for the NE due to the low SHGC. It's a .27/.19. The parting strip on top collapses to allow the top sash to tilt in (no tilt latches) It's an old design used by ultra vinyl and bradford in the 80's. The bottom sash tilts in using a similar lock/tilt feature as does the infinity, but it's not truth hardware. The extrusion is Dayton, which is known for mediocre quality. The fiberglass is a joke.

Now add to this that Slocum was willing to falsify data to the NFRC in order to give "Dreamhouse windows" their own NFRC rating using their window and it's a huge STOP sign IMO. Any company that condones it's dealers lying to consumers is an unethical company.

I looked at their entire line. The SPD was nothing special, the casement doesn't even have a folding handle :lol: the slider is average and the gardens are manufactured elsewhere. I DO love HM especially the sound reduction. Even today with all the advancements in Low E HM is as good or better.