MW Window issues

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Bingham

MW Window issues

#1 Post by Bingham »

I am hoping I can get some answers here. We purchased our six year old home four years ago. It has MW Twinseal windows throughout. We are experiencing a lot of air seepage around the windows, so much so that in some rooms, there is as much as a ten degree variance in temperature from the rest of the house and the thermostat setting. Our electric bill has been as much as $600 and averaged around $500 through the summer. I hate to see what our gas bill will be.

Has anyone experienced this, and more importantly, gotten any resolution? I have contacted the manufacturer's rep, but have received no response.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: MW Window issues

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will not likely make much headway with the manufacturer as they know exactly what their windows are like and are well aware of the air infiltration issues.

Based on your high utility bills, have you considered an energy audit? That would give you some real diagnostic date on the home and get you much closer to addressing the completely unsustainable energy bills.

Bingham

#3 Post by Bingham »

I would definitely have an energy audit done. How do I go about finding a company to do one. Ad you might expect, my power company was NO help!!!

shamu

#4 Post by shamu »

Are you the 2nd owner of the home? If so, you are probably not covered under the manufacturers warranty. It was most likely only to the original owner. I am not 100% positive this is the case with MW's warranty, but highly likely. Good Luck!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home located? I will post up the link to a list of contractors that serve your area.

Bingham

#6 Post by Bingham »

Greenville, SC

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

The closest BPI contractor I find in your area is out of Charlotte.

I would call them first and see if they travel or if they have a local recommendation for you.

After that, look for a BPI Energy Auditor in your area. There is no reason that you should be paying that kind of money to heat and cool your home.

http://bpi.org/tools_locator.aspx?associateTypeID=CTR

shims

#8 Post by shims »

My old windows were MW windows and were basically sash kits; no nailing fin just sashes and liners. They leaked air like a sieve despite being double pane. Jamb liners didn't fit right and had gaps. The windows did not close properly or lock. They were basically garbage.