american craftsman new construcion windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
coppertone

american craftsman new construcion windows

#1 Post by coppertone »

I am looking at the American Craftsman 3000 series windows at Home Depot. Does anyone know if these are a good idea? The Andersen's were about $130 more per unit. Any feedback would be appreciated.

jrr284

Re: american craftsman new construcion windows

#2 Post by jrr284 »

If you want junk.....buy those. Anderson actually owns that company I believe.

Dont know what your looking for but I wouldnt waste your money on those. If it is a money thing, then do a couple windows at a time if possible.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Before you run over to Lowes, the Pella thermastar isn't any better. In fact I'm going to buy one just so I can show people what a piece of junk it is.

A word of advice, you aren't going to find a quality vinyl window in a hardware store. They cater to the budget buyer and the uninformed. The vinyl windows they sell are all lower end. You would be better off putting Saran Wrap on your existing windows.

ranger

#4 Post by ranger »

I couldnt agree more. American craftsman are made for homeowners who want the cheapest product available and are planning on installing them in an out house.
Pellla vinyl windows as well as MI windows and VIWinco are just as bad.
I suppose the easiest thing to do is convince yourself all windows are the same and then come back to this board in 2 years and blame us for not educating you as to what makes one window better than the next.
My advice is to have some respect and pride for your home and install a window that will add some value .

ranger

#5 Post by ranger »

As for the reasons American craftsman are junk; here are a few. They are designed poorly and designed to meet minimum standards, hence the high air leakage rate. The vinyl they use is a very low grade and not a higher grade that will withstand the various temperature changes and outdoor elements. In other words, their vinyl tends to warp,crack, and in some cases discolor. When a window warps, all lower end vinyl does, it loses shape at the meeting railed and allows even more air to leak through a window that already leaks a lot of air. Further, the window becomes difficult to operate. Finally, the window looks very cheap. Take a look at how poor the welds are among a thousand other things.