simonton / sunrise

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
coupe

simonton / sunrise

#1 Post by coupe »

Hi new to this forum some one may be able to better direct me. My question is this. Which of the two windows would be considered the better to use in a new home. I have checked the thermal data on both and can get each with very impressive fenastration ratings, both ratings for each window are very comparrible and cost is also. The reason I ask of these two is that they are both avialible in my area and I think their is something to say for that in terms of service if thier is any problems and buying local from a lumberyard or construction company instead of heading out to the big box store. I was told buy a contractor that I can get the sunrise through that he also carried Simonton but prefered the quality, customer service and reps of sunrise over some issues he had with simonton but he could get either for me just let him no wich one i wanted, no pushing no harsh talk on simonton quality just that he had better results working with Sunrise. I have never seen a sunrise window. I have seen a simonton and like it. I am told that the sunrise has less vinyl perimeter around the glass and frame to give it a sleeker look and it is more slimlined as that of a wood window. ANY feed back? Both windows I am looking at are casements Infact all the windows in my new home will be for the simple fact of thermal data. My new home is being built with energy efficiency in mind across the board ICF basement , Spray foam walls , the best energy effiecient hvac for the money,(any thing over 94% and 18 seer is very hard to get a return on within the life of the unit).etc,etc, I can also purchase Pella proline from a local dealer not H.D (thier not the same window) with close to the same thermal data but not exact within .2, of course pella is $4500 more on the package. All the windows i have looked at are in the.16 to.18 range on U-value and the same on SHGC. sorry for the long post but wanted to be informative and try to show that I am comparring apples to apples with the exception of the pella it is a wood window( one of the series that is still in on going legal issues over rotting bottom sashes. I am told it had to do with the way they wraped them that it allowed water to be trapped between the covering and the wood of the bottom sash. Any way another discussion i am sure thanks for any input or advise Coupe

thermex

Re: simonton / sunrise

#2 Post by thermex »

both a good windows. i am am more partial towards sunrise though.i like the look a bit more and the quality control is second to none.

windowmike

#3 Post by windowmike »

My opinion is biased towards Simonton Prism. I have not installed the Sunrise nor am I familiar with it.
Prism Platinum is my choice with deluxe option nail fin and j channel added for new construction.
Simonton is touting new hardware finish options.
Profinish is their builders model with nail fin and j already on it.

I see you prefer the casement for better air infiltration and better u values, but be careful that they do not project onto porches or sidewalks where people will not knock their head. Also do not oversize them i.e. 36 x 72

update with your decisions please

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

All the windows i have looked at are in ... me on SHGC

Unless you are looking at triple pane glass, you need to recheck the U-factors. Make sure you are comparing the entire window unit and not just the Center of Glass.

Both are pretty good windows with good customer service. I would make my decision on aesthetics, labor warranty and price. I'm sure you will be very satisfied with either window.

coupe

#5 Post by coupe »

THanks for the input guys I got a total package deal work-up on all sizes of the windows I will be using and the simonton on a package deal beat sunrise by more than I would have thought. I have been using a 24' x48" window low-e super insulator, nail fin folddown crank handle as my comparrison window with every company I have looked at as to try my best to compare apples to apples and let the numbers tell the story. I ended up with simonton beating surise by 2500.00 on a package deal, not alot of money on a new home but it could be better used some place else as long as I am not sacrificing alot of quality. I did recently have another window option that is now in my area. Gerkin any body know anything about them.They can be purchased a few hundred cheaper yet on a package deal. Of the simonton and the sunrise i have researched i noticed to distintive attributes to each not sure which is better. On a simonton casement thier is what i would call a catch on the middle of the frame on the hinge side to insure that the frame pulls in tight to the weather seal when you close it, Very good idea i have seen this used on pella and other major brands. On the sunrise i noticed a support block at the bottom of the window frame on the latch side so that when you close the window it is pulled slighly up on to this resting block and supports the un hinged side to releave the stress on the hinges. Great idea marvin, pella and anderson use a simaliar dove tail to support the window in the closed position. It amazes me that some one hasn't captured all of the little details of each window and built a vinyl window with all the little but important details. Sorry for the lengthy post just want to make the right choice, windows and doors are not some thing you just switch up if you don't get what you want. Thanks again for input and advise