Thinking of getting Alside Excalibur

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
katestemm

Thinking of getting Alside Excalibur

#1 Post by katestemm »

Hi, this is my first post and I think this is an awesome forum. Now down to business. I've been thinking about getting Alside Excalibur windows because my brother in-law has some extra windows left over from a job he did. Of course this was two years ago and these windows have been sitting in a warehouse since then. My husband and I just bought our home. Our house was built in 1971 and I think the windows are the original aluminum single pane that the house was built with. My brother in-law has offered me a great deal for the windows at $200 a window (including installation). After reading all the reviews and doing my own research, I’m not sure Alside Excalibur is even worth $200.00. I was hoping to find out if the windows will last at least 4 - 5 years or am I wasting time even having these windows installed.

Skydawggy

Re: Thinking of getting Alside Excalibur

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I don't think anyone has said the Excalibur is a total piece of junk (well maybe a few). Usually when asked about it the pro's here recommend looking for a better window in he same price range. The biggest issue is it has an air infiltration rating around .21 cfm/ft2. $200 per window installed is a great deal, especially if you are on a tight budget. If they last 10-15 years you will have come out ahead. I would ask if the glass is ClimaTech, ClimaTec Plus or ClimaTech2.

I would also ask him to sell the windows to you for $400. if they meet the requirements for the tax credit and then do the install for free. That way you can take advantage of the tax credit and save another $120.

katestemm

#3 Post by katestemm »

Thank you for the guidance. You mentioned in your post about the air infilitration, and I read that Excalibur windows leak like a sieve, but the possible lowest rating is 0.1 because the NFRC will always round up. (At least according to other things I've read) So even if the rating is 0.03 they will round up to 0.1. This makes me wonder if the increase from 0.1 to 0.2 is really that significant.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

You are confusing .21 and .03. Huge difference!!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

NFRC testing does not include air infiltration testing.

That is bested on an AAMA designed test.

As Sky said, there is a huge difference between 0.21 and 0.03 or lower.

Excalibur isn't the worst product in the world but it lacks some of the care that is put into most of the larger brands and suffers as a result. If you are getting a sweetheart deal, it is tough to match that.

prosteelheader

#6 Post by prosteelheader »

air infiltraion is a big downside on the excalibur/alside units. the sash meets are poorly designed in my opinion. i know, i build 'em!