Republic Contour/K&H windows and exteriors

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Alyosha

Republic Contour/K&H windows and exteriors

#1 Post by Alyosha »

Chose K&H windows to replace my windows in Denver area. I withstood several windows sales pitches from a variety of companies, and went with K&H mostly due to no pressure sales tactics and good warranty. I've heard about their warranty handling before so that helped me to come to a decision. K&H installs Republic windows. Interestingly the glass packs sales person mentioned didn’t come up on the republic website. I wanted double pane triple coated. K&H marketed glass pack was called IP -intelligence performance. It loosely corresponds to the Sigma Shield 3 from republic website. Salesperson mention that it has Kr/Ar mixture, but there is no such window on republic website. When installers came in with the windows they did have stickers -"made exclusively for K&H windows", low-E 366, Sigma Shield 366/stay clean/superG/safety glass/krypton argon mixture. U factor =0.33, SHGC =0.32, VT=0.56.
The total price with installation was within $100 quoted by other companies.
Installers who showed up worked for K&H and were not subcontractors. They behaved very professionally, no radios, no smoking. They removed windows without breaking even one of them, didn't do any damage to the frame or siding. They did mentioned that they "didn’t like" IP glass packs, because the windows with them were so heavy. The windows looked well made, but simple. One can see imperfections at the bead, but nothing major, the glass itself was protected and without blemishes. The patio door was really thick and heavy. The stickers were easy to remove. After installation, installers vacuumed workplace, picked up all of the aluminum frame pieces, cleaned up drive away.. 19 windows and a patio door took just one day. The weather was cooperating. Great experience. Here is an example sticker Image

Alyosha

Re: Republic Contour/K&H windows and exteriors

#2 Post by Alyosha »

Follow up.
So basically year after, I noticed that the patio door glass has developed scratches on the outside, where the insulation between sliding part and stationary moved across the glass. Upon closer inspection I realized, that the glass packs are assembled incorrectly, with lowE coating being on the outside of the glass pack, instead of the inside. bad worksmanship on the part of Chicago/republican makers (must be the reason they went under soon after I had windows installed). It took a call to service department of K and H windows, and within couple of weeks the glass packs were replaced, no cost to me. Since republic is out of business, the glass packs came from their new supplier. Originall cardinal 366 was replaced with PPG solarban 70. The looks of the glass and the tint are almost identical, and the parameters are very close. Excellent experience with the installers and customer support.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the follow up.

That was good that you got the warrantied portion covered. There are quite a few customers out there that have not been so luck.

Alyosha

#4 Post by Alyosha »

Yes, I know, with Republic windows bankrupt, it just shows, that remodeling company/installer is just as important as window brand and quoted price. K and H windows does a lot of business in our area and is a member of Tom Martino refferal network (big consumer advocate in CO). This was the main reason for my choice to give them business, and they proved me right.
There is a little confusing part of the contract, where K and H offers 100% satisfaction garantee in addition to the manufacturer warranty. And it was explained to me when I was making my decision, that garantee supercedes manufacturers warranty. I was skeptical at first, parsing contract terms, but decided to trust the company reputation and went ahead with the deal.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

Sounds like you made a very well balanced decision.