Dove versus BF Rich

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Mongo

Dove versus BF Rich

#1 Post by Mongo »

Hi. First time poster.

My mother lives in New Jersey and needs to replace 26 old Andersen single pane windows. I've got estimates for her for Dove 2000 Plus series, BF Rich Vintage and BF Rich Cabernet. Not ever having dealt with replacements, does anyone have any advice or experience with these windows? Thanks!

Delaware Mike

Re: Dove versus BF Rich

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like she may live in Cumberland County. If so, the two dealers that represent those brands at the least have been in business for quite a while now. So if that's the case, that might be some peace of mind. I have a Dove brochure for their nicer 6000 series that one my customers has given me. It appears to be a decent product. I'm not sure about the lower 2000 series, and I'm having problems with my PC trying to open any PDF files like the brochure on the Dove website. Dove as company had a nice write up in one the trade magazines last year and I've not ever heard anything really negative about them.

BF Rich is a local company with a solid reputation. I don't really have anything against their products, but I"m not in love with them either. For my money as a dealer I think that there are better products out there for the same price. I like the Cabernet better than the Vintage, but I'm sure it cost quite a bit more. One good thing about BF Rich is that they are manufactured only like 25 minutes over the Delaware Memorial Bridge. This could be good for local homeowner if they ever needed factory service if the dealer ran into problems in the future.

You might want to ask each dealer or installer how they are going to handle the interior trim stops. I've seen the way some of the local Lowes stores are performing their Andersen tear outs and they are butchering them up.

Mongo

#3 Post by Mongo »

Thanks, Mike.

What's difficult for me to grasp is why I've got a $4K difference between the BF Rich Vintage and the Dove 2000. That's over $160 a window. If they're both mid-range windows, I wouldn't expect that much of a difference.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

The windows most likely cost the dealers just about the same to purchase. There could be differences in the installations? Are both outfits including exterior capping and new interior trim stops?

I'm not sure what quote on what window is more. Every dealer has a different overhead in which their business model operates. I went up against a guy in the local yellow pages that does the Dove products last year and his pricing was less than what just about anyone could compete with. The BR Rich dealer that I thinking of in my neighboring county has an established storefront location and I'm sure a much larger general overhead to operate under.

Without directly asking the price that your mother was quoted as I don't the installation details or options on the windows, I kind of know the pricing structure of these two dealers if I'm correct with my hunch. I remember one of the BR Rich window samples that I was looking at last year had a spiral balance system. It may have been an older sample? I don't think I would feel real comfortable with something that outdated.

Integra

#5 Post by Integra »

Dove has a HORRIBLE reputation. I wouldn't put them in a doghouse. Given the choice of the two, I would certainly go with BF Rich. Their Cabernet window is a nice, solid unit. Nothing sexy, but a decent value.

Mongo

#6 Post by Mongo »

Well, I've got 2 estimates now for the BF Rich Cabernets, one is for 12K and the other is for 15k. The more expensive estimate includes the following specs:

"Exterior to receive vinyl coated white aluminum trim casing to seal new window to exterior surface. Aluminum scribed to siding profile. Steel lintels in brick openings clad with vinyl coated aluminum"

Having never dealt with vinyl replacement windows, is this additional work, which is adding about $100 per window actually necessary?? The dealer has a good reputation and an A+ rating with BBB.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!