Preservation Replacement Windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
windowhelpplease

Preservation Replacement Windows

#1 Post by windowhelpplease »

Hi all,

I'm new to the window-shopping world and think I may have signed an overpriced contract for 4 Preservation double hung windows at a cost of $3,600.

Our salesman said we should get the double pane (ENERGYMAXX4) saying that's all we needed in this area (northern Maryland). After repeated requests for an explanation about the difference between the double and triple paned windows he said we could have the triple pane argon gas filled (R7, hopefully meaning Energy MAXX7) and did not change the price. That indicates to me (on the morning after...) that the price on the double pane windows was seriously inflated in the first place. We have 15 windows to replace and he wanted something like 13-15,000 for the whole job and would include a "free" steel entry door if we bought all the windows at once.

Additionally, I wanted either the ClarityOne (chemically treated to create a super-smooth surface that won't attract or hold dirt and dust) or the SunClean Self-Cleaning glass (durable transparent coating bonded to its outer surface during the manufacturing process) and the salesman told me I'd get ClarityOne although he didn't write that on our contract. He told me that while the brochure, contractor's and manufacturer’s website shows ClarityOne and SunClean as "available" and "options" that ClarityOne is "standard" now. I asked why the literature stated "option or available" and he said the literature was outdated. I looked on the websites and voila- same thing- I reminded him that website information could be updated at anytime and he told me that the company wouldn't risk their reputation for a small $3600 job.

The more I write, the madder I get. The sales presentation was happening while our six-month-old grandson was here and our house may have been too busy for me to totally focus on the sales presentation in a properly attentive and SMART manner.

I would appreciate any and all frank comments. If I've been foolish or "had" just say so. I still have the three day right of rescission to fall back on. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Preservation Replacement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

At $900 per double pane window, I would think that a door would be "Free".

The Preservation window is a re-badged and slightly tweaked Alside Sheffield. Nothing about that window makes it worth anywhere near $400, let alone $900.

Every major glass manufacturer has a "Sun-Clean" option. The efficacy of those options is what is up for debate.

The Double pane vs. Triple pane argument really comes down to how the home is orientated and how it is built.

windowhelpplease

#3 Post by windowhelpplease »

Thank you. I take it Allside Sheffield isn't/wasn't top of the line.

I am not opposed to someone making a profit, I am in business myself. I am, however, opposed to someone taking advantage of my good nature and obvious oblivion to what windows cost. I am more than willing to pay a fair price for a good window/proper installation.

I just wish I could find a contractor I could trust. We've been burned seeral times now and, frankly, I'm very sick of it.

windowhelpplease

#4 Post by windowhelpplease »

If anyone out there can recommend a reputable, honest replacement window contractor who would like to quote a job in the Northern Harford County, Maryland area I would appreciate it.

We have a brick rancher built in 1968. The existing, original windows are Anderson wood and single pane, of course. We have 17 windows to replace, including two bay windows. We were frightened of the $12,000 price tag quoted for a simple bay window and are hopeful that a good, solid, attractive bay window is available for less. We also need a patio door.

Windows on Washington - I see you've recommended several contractors throughout the country and you seem very knowledgeable. We are ready to do the whole house with the right company. Any assistance or direction you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

We cover that region for persons from the Web Boards if you want to click on the "Get a Quote" button.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Windowhelp, WindowsonWashinton is a highly respected member of the board as you can see by his posts. H will take care of you.... As he pointed out, the Preservation series is grossly overpriced at the cost you mentioned, and is a mediocre product.

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

windowhelpplease wrote:

I just wish I could find a contractor I could trust. We've been burned seeral times now and, frankly, I'm very sick of it.

There's one right above you :wink: even if he does blow off dinner meetings with fellow pro's :lol:

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:
windowhelpplease wrote:

There's one right above you :wink: even if he does blow off dinner meetings with fellow pro's :lol:
HA!

Sorry about that Bruce. You know how the days get away from you.

buddy110

#9 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
buddy110 wrote:
windowhelpplease wrote:

HA!

Sorry about that Bruce. You know how the days get away from you.

Nah, I'm just busten on you. I was spent anyway and wouldn't have been good company. :wink: