Ply Gem premium series vs Soft-Lite Bainbridge

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Stacy

Ply Gem premium series vs Soft-Lite Bainbridge

#1 Post by Stacy »

I am wanting to replace original wood windows in our 1871 home in Illinois. I have had local installation companies out for quotes for vinyl replacement double hung windows. One company carries Ply Gem windows and is recommending their Premium line windows with HP2 glass package with double LowE/Argon and the other company carries Soft-Lite windows and is giving me a quote for their Bainbridge line and their Elements line. The 6 windows I'm currently replacing face East, South and West on the second floor master bedroom which has been the coldest room in the winter and the hottest room in the summer in our home. There are no trees tall enough to shade any of these windows so getting the glass that can help with the sun damage is a must. So far I believe the Soft Lite Elements line is overkill. They appear to be excellent windows with insulation in the vinyl frame but living in town do I really need that much insulation? They are the most costly of the windows I've seen and with 38 windows to replace (over several years) I think I need something more reasonably priced. I'd appreciate your opinion. Also, do you like the spayed in foam insulation in the pockets where the weights currently are? Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: Ply Gem premium series vs Soft-Lite Bainbridge

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Bainbridge and PlyGem premium are both decent mid grade choices, with the performance edge going to the SL. If you like the PG, opt for the stainless spacer. The Elements is easily the best of the three however, and is one of the best offerings that you'll find. The level of insulation/energy efficiency is not the only concern, as the top choices are better built and designed units, and therefore will last longer and perform at a higher level throughout their service life.
Where is IL are you? There is a board pro called Windows4U that services the Chicagoland/Northern IL area that would be worth contacting. He offers several lines, and a few of the top choices. On product, you might also consider the HiMark, Okna, and Sunrise offerings.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Window4U

You can find him here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5500

I also prefer to foam back the weight pockets when you can but it isn't a cheap upgrade.

Stacy

#4 Post by Stacy »

Thank you for the info. I will look for someone that sells any of the windows you mentioned. I also think I will look again at the Elements windows. Having gotten the quote in the mail today it is only $500 higher than for the PlyGem and about $200 higher than the Bainbridge.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

For that price difference, it is an easy choice IMO: Elements.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:For that price difference, it is an easy choice IMO: Elements.
+1

Easy decision there.

If you want to see the competitive equivalent of the Elements, you can try Window4U and have him show you the HiMark EnviroStar.