Picture Windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
JeffS

Picture Windows

#1 Post by JeffS »

I hope I'm in the right board. I'm going to replace two picture windows on Long Island, NY and am thinking to go with a bow window or a flat panel with two double hungs on either side. The flat panel configuration is the existing configuration. I live on a barrier island on the south shore and am going with Simontons to replace all the other double hungs in the house. What companies are the best for picture windows? What specifications would you recommend?

Skydawggy

Re: Picture Windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Why not replace them with Simonton picture windows so all the windows will match in design????

JeffS

#3 Post by JeffS »

I did think of that, but the picture windows are in a different room than the other replacements. If, for some reason, a company was known to be superior to Simonton in picture window design, I wouldn't let some differences in appearance stop me from going for the better product. If not, then I have no problem going with Simonton. The other windows in the house (double hung) will be 5500 with the superspacer package.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Hmmm, there are companies that have superior picture windows, but they also have superior DH's... I'm unsure why you are commited to Simonton on the Dh's but open on the pics??? I would suggest the same as sky, that you put the same brand throughout. Either upgrade all, or stick with Simonton for the pics as well.

JeffS

#5 Post by JeffS »

What brands would you recommend as superior to Simonton?

JeffS

#6 Post by JeffS »

Can anyone recommend a brand which is superior to Simonton? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good.

pclifton

#7 Post by pclifton »

I am having the same problem. I was told that you should replace a bow window with a bow window, it is easier. I would rather have a picture window with two double hungs on each side. Window installer told me it would be the same price. Any comments??? I live in Iowa and this window is the only big window in the front of my house. Would the picture window give the house a more updated look?