Looking for a suggestion for a good replacement window

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
happyman0506

Looking for a suggestion for a good replacement window

#1 Post by happyman0506 »

I've never been so confused in my life in trying to figure out what is the right product for me to buy. Between the reviews I read and Consumer Reports, I am really lost.

I am selling my house in about 6 months and need to replace the windows. The are about 40 years old and really bad. I need 16 windows that are 49"x25", a picture window, and a sliding glass door. Currently, the (16) 49"x25" windows are awnings. However, I am open to going with sliders.

I am looking for a window that is decent quality so when I sell, I won't "stick it" to the person buying my house. However, I don't want to spend a ton of money either. I will not need installation. One of my good friends is a union carpenter with experience installing windows and he is going to do the installation for me.

Suggestions on a mid grade, cost effective window? I am open to vinyl or wood.

Thanks!
Dan

happyman0506

Re: Looking for a suggestion for a good replacement window

#2 Post by happyman0506 »

Also, I live in the burbs of Chicago, so the weather can get quite cold here in the winter.

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking for a suggestion for a good replacement window

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would suggest staying with one of the premium manufacturers out there and going with one of their mid-grade lines.

Simonton, Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, and Gorell are all available in your area.

There is a well respected pro by the name of "Window4U" that is a contributing member to this forum. You can click on the "Request a Quote" feature under his name to be connected to him. Dave has very good products and top notch installers.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3909