Why you won't get my business . . .

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
pikeman

Why you won't get my business . . .

#1 Post by pikeman »

I recently was quoted by a salesman on some windows. To his credit, he did not pull any sleazy stuff. However, he won't be getting my business. Why?

1. Never provided "the numbers" from the Energy Star label. It was not attached to the sample window. He had to really search on the web to locate information from the glass Mfg.. Guardian is a pretty competent company, but their PDF on the glass package did not clearly link the performance they tout to the Energy Star label.
2. Left nothing with me as far as informative literature.
3. No certification standard for installation work - acted like it was some foreign concept. Did not provide details in installation other than they use butyl sealant.
4. Gave me an estimate on a sheet of lined paper without company name, part numbers, quantity, unit price, labor cost, and sales tax, or date of quote, or address of work. I'm no attorney, but I don't think the Commercial Code would even consider that a valid offer.

Sure, I'm over the $1500 in "goods" that qualify for a tax credit, but I'm a business person and work with specifics.
I asked for a cost on the windows themselves, and he did some computation and came up with a number, but that isn't businesslike.

Sorry Charlie - no sale.

Delaware Mike

Re: Why you won't get my business . . .

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like your not their target customer. You seem educated with common sense.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Pikeman,
On your first concern, manufacturer's have all kinds of different configurations, window styles, and glass packages that make it difficult to give the exact number that is going to be on the NFRC label of your new windows without looking it up.... Other than that, I'd agree, it sounds like that guy was highly unprofessional.

Door&WindowPlus

#4 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

pikeman wrote:I recently was quoted by a salesman on some windows. To his credit, he did not pull any sleazy stuff. However, he won't be getting my business. Why?

1. Never provided "the numbers" from the Energy Star label. It was not attached to the sample window. He had to really search on the web to locate information from the glass Mfg.. Guardian is a pretty competent company, but their PDF on the glass package did not clearly link the performance they tout to the Energy Star label.
2. Left nothing with me as far as informative literature.
3. No certification standard for installation work - acted like it was some foreign concept. Did not provide details in installation other than they use butyl sealant.
4. Gave me an estimate on a sheet of lined paper without company name, part numbers, quantity, unit price, labor cost, and sales tax, or date of quote, or address of work. I'm no attorney, but I don't think the Commercial Code would even consider that a valid offer.

Sure, I'm over the $1500 in "goods" that qualify for a tax credit, but I'm a business person and work with specifics.
I asked for a cost on the windows themselves, and he did some computation and came up with a number, but that isn't businesslike.

Sorry Charlie - no sale.
Sorry you had that bad experience. Maybe he was new to the iindustry.

I had a customer asking for a discount because the NFRC label numbers were different on my sample window than the window he got. Problem was he ordered a window with no grids and my sample window has grids. The window brochure clearly stated the different NFRC numbers. Sometimes giving too much information gets a salesman in trouble. I even gave a small discount for the confusion but he still made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against the company I work for.

gibber27

#5 Post by gibber27 »

Sometimes we as sales reps get tired of filling in the social calendar of the customer who is not really interested in buying but rather, likes to talk. My guess is this guy probably had 2 or 3 of those types of customers before he met with you. If not, then he's just a poor salesman.