Opinions on Ply Gem ... United ... Velux windows?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
BRUUUUCE

Opinions on Ply Gem ... United ... Velux windows?

#1 Post by BRUUUUCE »

These three are carried by one of the more well-known and reputable installers in our area, but I haven't seen much said about them here. Was hoping for some general opinions.

HomeSealed

Re: Opinions on Ply Gem ... United ... Velux windows?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I like PlyGem, not familiar with United, and Velux makes a damn fine skylight. :wink:

BRUUUUCE

#3 Post by BRUUUUCE »

does ply gem make the great lakes windows?

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

BRUUUUCE wrote:does ply gem make the great lakes windows?
Yes

BRUUUUCE

#5 Post by BRUUUUCE »

Skydawggy -- you seem to be one of the most respected pros on this board. Can you offer me any help? I'm in north/central New Jersey looking for decent replacement windows. The most recent company I talked with was pushing the SeaBrooke line from Great Lakes. Triple panes. I question the triple panes ... seeing as we're trying to do this correctly, but also affordably, too.

Thank you in advance.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

If you are looking in the middle range of windows, Seabrooke is one to consider. I haven't had any first hand experience with it but, that is my understanding from some of the Pros I know who have. My suggestion is to look around in the area you live in to see what's available. Not all windows are but in NJ you have a very wide field of availability and most major manufacturers do have outlets in NJ of some kind. Other than that, it's just going to be the tedious task of getting estimates. If you can narrow it down to a couple of brands you might be interested in before hand, that usually makes it less frustrating. I wish I could just tell you to call someone I know in NJ and they would take care of you but I'm in Va. and I really don't know a NJ dealer I could recommend with a clear conscious.

Please keep coming back here for feedback. There is a lot of knowledge available here and we will help you all we can.

BRUUUUCE

#7 Post by BRUUUUCE »

thank you. we're trying to avoid another botch job and bad windows this second time around so I'm a little gun-shy and overly cautious. i appreciate your help and everyone else's. This site is a valuable resource for people like.

SuperiorW&D

#8 Post by SuperiorW&D »

Just a little heads up info....

Ply Gem purchased the CertainTeed Windows line during the past couple of years. CertainTeed had gone down hill in service and quality over the past 5 years.....and I was glad that someone picked them up to try and turn the line around.

Recently I requested of Ply Gem to send displays of the Great Lakes Windows to my 2 showrooms. What a disappointment.

Sashes in double hungs that don't stay up....some samples were delayed because the "screens were not ready". ????

I'm reserving full comment, but I've got more than a couple of days of window experience and this does not bode well.

You can make the best window in the world, but if you can't run a company you won't get my business.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Just to clarify, PlyGem's primary lines are made by Great lakes (Premium and Pro Series, Lifestyles, Seabrooke, etc) and have nothing to do with Certainteed. Furthermore, I have seen nothingf but stellar service from them on all levels, certainly no problems with displays, etc.... Sounds like a bad sales rep to me.