Need help choosing windows in Portland

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Katharine420

Need help choosing windows in Portland

#1 Post by Katharine420 »

I am currently researching different companies to install new windows (8 and one slider) in my 1957 ranch in Portland, OR. I received one quote from a small company for almost $18,000 for triple pane with a combination argon and krypton and Compozit frames. Thankfully, I found this site where my fears that I was being conned were validated. However, armed with a little more knowledge I am now trying to decide between a few different windows and could use some more advice. Because I do not live in an extreme climate, I do not feel that I need the triple pane windows (but feel free to tell me different if I am wrong!). I have decided to go with double pane vinyl windows, low E with argon. I have many choices of companies here but I have narrowed them down to a top 3. I would really appreciate it if I could get a general idea of which is the better window.

Andersen
Milgard
Pella (is there such a thing as a "Pella" window or do they buy from a manufacturer?)

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

Skydawggy

Re: Need help choosing windows in Portland

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Avoid Pella and Andersen vinyl windows. Both are considered low end. Milgard is pretty decent. I would also look at Simonton, Amerimax and Anlin if they are available to you.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Pella and Anderson make their own wood windows (for the most part) however on the vinyl side the each purchased a lower end vinyl manufactuer and "re-label" the products... There are much better choices out there.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

I'm in Medford Oregon.

First, if those were my only choices I too would pick Milgard. Not only because it is a good window, but because it is a locally manufactured window (Tualatin, OR) made for our area.

That being said you have choices of other locally manufactured windows. Atrium Windows (Union Gap, WA) and Empire Pacific Windows (Tualatin, OR) are my top 2 selling window brands. We've been representing them both for over 10 years with no problems.

IMHO, the dealer/installer is equal to or more important than the window. Check them out and choose wisely.

If you were to call Milgard, Atrium or Empire they could recommend a "reputable" dealer to you.

pilot

#5 Post by pilot »

SuperiorW&D wrote:I'm in Medford Oregon.

First, if those were my only choices I too would pick Milgard. Not only because it is a good window, but because it is a locally manufactured window (Tualatin, OR) made for our area.

That being said you have choices of other locally manufactured windows. Atrium Windows (Union Gap, WA) and Empire Pacific Windows (Tualatin, OR) are my top 2 selling window brands. We've been representing them both for over 10 years with no problems.

IMHO, the dealer/installer is equal to or more important than the window. Check them out and choose wisely.

If you were to call Milgard, Atrium or Empire they could recommend a "reputable" dealer to you.
WOW - 10 years with NO problems.....sorry but I have to call BS on that broad statement. But you are right, the installation company is probably more important than the window - all windows being roughly of the same quality.

SuperiorW&D

#6 Post by SuperiorW&D »

pilot wrote:
SuperiorW&D wrote:
WOW - 10 years with NO problems.....sorry but I have to call BS on that broad statement.
OK, I do tend to ignore "minor" issues if the manufacturer is quick on the ball to take care of them.

If a manufacturer has a history of big quality issues, fights over everything, or makes the homeowner wait months to fix minor issues that would escalate to BE a problem.

When I say "no problems" I mean the windows are good quality windows from a good quality company that stands behind their product.

Sorry for the exaggeration. Being from Brooklyn originally it's in my blood.

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

pilot wrote:
SuperiorW&D wrote:all windows being roughly of the same quality.

Hang out here for a while, you may learn the differences.