Milgard Quiet Line and New Tuscany Triple Pane

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
guinness

Milgard Quiet Line and New Tuscany Triple Pane

#1 Post by guinness »

I am getting ready to install bedroom windows and a patio sliding door. I have done some research on the Milgard Quiet Line. Our main concerns are:

1. Noise (living near a fire station, living near a intersection, living on a busy street)
2. Our current 2 single pane windows are terribly insulated. The house is freezing or hot.

We first got a quote for the simonton windows with 3/16" glass to do both bedroom windows and patio slider. With the 30% tax credit it came out very reasonable. Less than 2000. but the STC rating is only about a 32.

We then looked into Milgard Quiet Line which has a STC rating of 41 - 47. These are triple pane windows. There isn't a lot of reviews on these unfortunately that I could find and I would like to find out more about them if anyone has installed these. They only come in windows and do not make doors. It is pricey but with the 30% tax credit, it might be worth it for us especially if we one day decide to sell our place.

We also heard about Milgard's new line of Tuscany windows who now make triple pane like the Quiet Line. I heard they are priced lower than the Quiet Line. Does anyone know how well these are for sound retention and heat? I assume these also qualify for the 30% tax credit. I don't now what the STC ratings are or what is the difference between the Quiet line vs Tuscany triple pane.

If anyone has any experience with these windows, i would love to get your input. I think at this point we are leaning towards the quiet line or Tuscany windows.

Also which is better the simonton patio sliding doors or Tuscany double pane patio sliding doors?

Thanks in advance :D

jeff1995

Re: Milgard Quiet Line and New Tuscany Triple Pane

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

Milgard Quite-Line and Tuscany are quite different animals. Tuscany triple pane doesn't compare to "triple" pane glass in the Quite-line. Go to you local window store and look at the differences (call first to see if they even have a demo). Triple pane Tuscany is basically for better energy numbers and not noise reduction. Most window gurus should agree that there is not much difference between 2 and 3 glazes of glass in a Tuscany series when considering noise. Quite line will use laminated glass vs. single glaze of glass in different combinations for noise reduction. Your windows are only a part of the noise problem, you might want to consider the insulation in the walls / ceiling. A laminated glass option in a patio door would help. There are other VERY good experts here just in case I did not explain well enough.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

there is not much difference between 2 and 3 glazes of glass in a Tuscany series when considering noise
Absolutely correct.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

randy wrote:
there is not much difference between 2 and 3 glazes of glass in a Tuscany series when considering noise
Absolutely correct.
Actually the dual glazed Tuscany would be better at sound control than the triple glazed Tuscany. You need air space to get sound control.

Darrenstovin

#5 Post by Darrenstovin »

I live near a busy street and recently put in Milgard Quietline windows with an STC rating of 45. They were costly, but worth every penny as they made a dramatic improvement. The limiting factor in now my walls (I suspect they have an STC rating of 38 - 40). You can still hear some vehicles pass by, but only large trucks and motorcycles and even those are very faint If noise is an concern I would have no reservations in purchasing them. Best of Luck

jeff1995

#6 Post by jeff1995 »

due to the cost of these units, I recommend their use in bedrooms as a priority. If you can sleep, you should be able to handle the rest of the day in most cases.