BF Rich Horizon vs. Alside Excalibur

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Want to Know

BF Rich Horizon vs. Alside Excalibur

#1 Post by Want to Know »

First time posting on this board. Appreciate any comments as I would like to decide how to proceed this week.

There are 17 windows I would like to replace. After getting several quotes I have come down to these two options: BF Rich Horizon and Alside Excalibur. Horizon is about $40 more expensive per window. Both are low E with Argon-fill, meeting tax credit requirements.

Via the internet reviews, it looks like both are mid-low grade of vinyl replacement windows. Is one better than the other? I am hoping to have them in decent shape for another 10 years; is that too much to ask for them?

The total price including installation for Horizon is about $1000 more. However, it does including the capping of 2 large / 1 small half circle window frames; while the Alside dealer will not do. The reason given was that the half circle will not accumulate water, so there is no particular reason to do it. Does it make sense not to cap the half-circles while the rest of the window frames are capped? By the way, the half-circle windows themself will not be replaced as that will be much more expensive.

As for the installers, I have seen the BF Rich person in our community a number of times over the past 6/7 years. The Alside dealer is from a town a bit far, he claims to have over 25 years experience, but he is not doing it himself now, he has a crew.

Again, thanks in advance for any comments.

canuck

Re: BF Rich Horizon vs. Alside Excalibur

#2 Post by canuck »

of the 2, BF Rich,although i would ask to see the cabernet. Alside excalibur is viewed as a low end window NOT mid grade.. very flimsy. although a step up from silverline/american craftsman or pella thermastar.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

BF Rich is a superior product but there are certainly better ones out there as well.

Want to Know

#4 Post by Want to Know »

Dear both, thank you very much for your comments. Any additional thoughts on the capping of the half-circle window frame?

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

The reason the dealer won't do it is he doesn't have the skills. Any good window or siding installer can do 1/2 rounds and rounds with ease. A red flag IMO.