Looking for replacement windows - need help!

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
pontoonpilot

Looking for replacement windows - need help!

#1 Post by pontoonpilot »

I am totally lost when it comes to researching windows! Nonetheless, I am looking at replacing my windows this summer and would really appreciate objective and sincere advice from anyone who can help. I'm looking at having The Window Store install Thermalmaxx windows, but I've gotten mixed reviews on this site. Can anyone shed light on this type of window and the company? Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Looking for replacement windows - need help!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

ThermalMaxx is likely a private label name.

Can you ask them for the manufacturer or fabricator of the window? That will allow us to give you more directed feedback on the actual product.

pontoonpilot

#3 Post by pontoonpilot »

From a Google search, it looks like Thermalmaxx windows are manufactured by a company called Alside. By the way, I live in Minnesota in case that matters in rendering your opinion about the windows - very cold winters up here!

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I think it's a rebranded Ultra-Maxx. Plenty of reviews on it. Sometimes the name is changed on a window to hide it's true quality. That can be a lot cheaper than actually redesigning a window or fixing design defects.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't much care for the UltraMaxx although it is one of the better Alside windows.

pontoonpilot

#6 Post by pontoonpilot »

What is it that you don't like about the windows? Let me put a different perspective on this: I have nine pretty standard size double-hung windows I want to replace and I know the owner of the installation company. He gave me a quote last year of $3500 for all the windows and told me in so many words that he was giving me a heck of a deal - and this is on their top-of-the-line windows. He's coming out next week to personally give me an estimate again (he didn't actually inspect my existing windows last year when he gave me the quote). So, I'm thinking that even if the windows aren't the best out there, they'd definitely be within my budget and would be better than the original ones that I've got now. Thoughts?

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

Sounds as if you have convinced yourself this is the best route for you to go and it probably is. I would ask him how long he's been selling this window and what he sold before. I'd also ask for the CPD#

What I don't like about the Ultra-Maxx is that 1.)the frame is very large and bulky, 2.) It uses a snap-in pocket sill design. This design uses the internal chambers of the frame as a water path. 3.) I don't like Alsides gray area's in terms of warranty service.

But please, don't take my word for it, do your own research.

pontoonpilot

#8 Post by pontoonpilot »

First off, I really do appreciate your opinion/advice on this. I'm not into blogs and forums, but the home projects I want to do this year leave me seeking out every resource I can. My budget allows me about $4000 to $5000 to do these nine windows - I know, not a lot for windows, but I'm not a rich guy. I have had some friends tell me of their experience with window companies and installations they've had, and they've said that they wish they'd have simply purchased windows from Home Depot or the like and had a contractor put them in, that that would've saved them a lot of money. So, I've considered that, but... well, with the quote I should be getting from this guy that's coming out next week, I can have them install the windows and get some kind of warranty rather than none at all if I do it myself or have my own contractor do it, and I'll still pay no more - if not less - than if I buy the windows from HD and either do the install myself or have my contractor do it. Yeah, I sound like I'm leaning toward this guy, but I'm not sold yet, not at all. Do you know of a window and window company that can do it for around $400 - $500 for a decent (better than average, but not top-of-the-line) window?

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

You should be able to find a pretty decent window in that price range. Tell your friends to be carefull what they ask for. The cheapos sold through Orange and Blue are priced low for a reason. Most manufacturers know what their product is worth. Orange and Blue's criteria for window manufacturers is based on whether they can supply them nationally. Not do they make a quality product. Most people who purchase cheap windows justify their purchases based on whether the new ones are better than the old ones. Well, of course they are. The real question should be, did they get the most for their money?

You are on the right track by coming here seeking information.

bamiami

#10 Post by bamiami »

I realize this post is about a month old and the individual (pontoonpilot) looking for advice on windows is probably no longer visiting the site, but if they are I was curious what the outcome was. I received a quote from this same company, The Window Store Home Improvements, Inc., for windows as well. 4 double hung, 5 slider (3 of the slider windows combined 2 double hung windows, the other 2 slider were for my living room and downstairs family room, replacing larger picture windows that are not able to open). I was quoted $7,200 for the project. I am currently researching to compare prices with other window compaines as well as stores like Home Depot, etc. I know nothing about windows, except my current ones leak, frost over in the winter, fog up, etc. So I know they should be replaced. Just trying to determine a fair price and decent quality. Similiar to pontoonpilot, I live in Minnesota as well.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

bamiami wrote:I realize this post is about a month old and the individual (pontoonpilot) looking for advice on windows is probably no longer visiting the site, but if they are I was curious what the outcome was. I received a quote from this same company, The Window Store Home Improvements, Inc., for windows as well. 4 double hung, 5 slider (3 of the slider windows combined 2 double hung windows, the other 2 slider were for my living room and downstairs family room, replacing larger picture windows that are not able to open). I was quoted $7,200 for the project. I am currently researching to compare prices with other window compaines as well as stores like Home Depot, etc. I know nothing about windows, except my current ones leak, frost over in the winter, fog up, etc. So I know they should be replaced. Just trying to determine a fair price and decent quality. Similiar to pontoonpilot, I live in Minnesota as well.
Looks like pontoon pilot got a much better deal than what you've been quoted. :shock: My opinion on the window in question is that you can probably find a better product for the price, however, if you get a knock-out deal, you could certainly do worse than that product. I have no knowledge or opinion on the installation company.