Replacement windows Southern CA coastline

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
kjlasdk9

Replacement windows Southern CA coastline

#1 Post by kjlasdk9 »

I live in north Orange County within 2 miles of the coast and have a 30 year old condo in need of replacement sliding windows and a sliding door replacement. What brands, quality would you suggest? What details I need to watch for and what can I do to become an informed consumer.
I am tired of the road noise and conduction of cold from our old windows of the 70's, not to mention the heating bills during our cold snaps!
A close friend has suggested Ply Gem but not a specific "model" or "line". My brother replaced his windows in the past few years with Certainteed and has been very satisfied. I understand Ply Gem bought Certainteed out several years ago.
Thank you for your time and suggestions. :)

jeff1995

Re: Replacement windows Southern CA coastline

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

I have liked the CertainTeed / Ply-Gem product here in So-Cal. Other companies to consider are Superior Ultima Windows, Simonton 7300 series, or Amerimax craftsman series. With the dual glaze of glass your traffic noise will be reduced. You could opt for a thicker glass in one of the glazes to help with the noise a bit. If you are wanting the low-e3/argon up-grade, you would have to act very soon to qualify for any tax credits. These up-grades are standard here in your area and will give you the energy efficiency you are seeking. In my opinion, avoid the "box" stores and try a local window company. They should offer better product offerings and MUCH better staff to answer questions you would have. You will need to "line-up" an installer very soon also, as it is close to the year end of the tax credit, and EVERYONE is getting windows now and most competent installers are very busy.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

The only way you are going to reduce traffic noise is to install windows with laminated glass. Do not get talked into triple pane glass to make much difference.

Simonton, Amerimax, Anlin and Milgard are decent brands to look at in California. You will want a window with glass that will reduce the solar gain as much as possible.

I would also talk to yoiur Condo Board for advice before you spend a lot of time shopping. They may have their own ideas about what is acceptable.

kjlasdk9

#4 Post by kjlasdk9 »

Thank you both for your valued feedback, information and tools to learn more. Yes, I am hoping to get the job done before the end of the year if at all possible. I'll get to reading and learning within the next 1-2 days. :)

warrantyservice

#5 Post by warrantyservice »

EcoStar Windows wrote:The only way you are going to reduce traffic noise is to install windows with laminated glass. Do not get talked into triple pane glass to make much difference.

Simonton, Amerimax, Anlin and Milgard are decent brands to look at in California. You will want a window with glass that will reduce the solar gain as much as possible.

I would also talk to yoiur Condo Board for advice before you spend a lot of time shopping. They may have their own ideas about what is acceptable.
Another thing to consider is if this is a HOA? Are your existing windows Bronze as most HOA's will insist on your new windows looking like the old ones. I agree that there are some very good choices with Anlin, Simonton, and Milgard all offer very good warranties and there Service Departments are very good as well.