Problems with Renewal by Andersen

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Unhappy with RBA

Problems with Renewal by Andersen

#1 Post by Unhappy with RBA »

I'm having problems with windows by Renewal by Andersen and would like feedback from others. About 6 mos ago I contracted with RBA to replace 10 windows for $15,000. Yes, I know that's a lot of $$ but I have a stone house more than 150 years old, and the existing windows were more than 50 years old. So, I was told that new frames would be needed, and also that the windows would be custom fit to the openings. However, the windows were measured for the opening of the existing wood frame and it was clear to me that they never intended to replace the frames. I complained after the measurements but was told that I would like the results and I was locked into the contract. After the windows were installed, I was upset because none of the frames were replaced, and they were filled with spray foam in an attempt to seal all of the gaps. Some of the frames are more than 6 inches wide! As you can imagine, after all of the vinyl wrapping (gluing and nailing), the windows look awful and they are full of leaks. It was 20oF when I received my "completed" billing. The temperature at the base of the RBA windows was 48oF, whereas my other Anderson windows measured 60oF. The windows do not match my "regular" Anderson windows because of the extreme amount of vinyl that was used to cover the old frames. When the regular Anderson windows were installed, they were measured for the stone opening, and the frames were replaced. When I complained that I was overcharged because they did not replace the windows with windows that fit the opening and did not replace the old wood frames, they were unwilling to renegotiate the price that I paid for the windows. Looks like we're headed to litigation. I'd appreciate any comments regarding others with problems with RBA, prices for RBA windows, or advice on how to handle this.

Skydawggy

Re: Problems with Renewal by Andersen

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

RBA is a mid performing window. Your issue sounds as if it's an installation problem coupled with you misunderstanding what you were getting. Hopefully, you have everything in writing.

Door&WindowPlus

#3 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I wish you would have found this website before you had a problem. Just searching Renewal by Anderson you would have found out this is common. Sorry for your problems. If you can post the pictures then other customers would see what kind of work they do.

Unhappy with RBA

#4 Post by Unhappy with RBA »

Yes, I wish I would have been able to find all of the negative comments about RBA before entering into the contract. I wish that I had replaced just one window, and I would never have gone for the other 9. Lots of regrets. For pictures and a more detailed version of the saga, here is my new blog:

http://leakyrenewalbyandersenwindows.bl ... ce-of.html

And one thing I would like to clear up, I did not "misunderstand", but I was deliberately misled about the type of window that would be installed, in multiple conversations that I had with the salesman. He did this to make the sale, and I guess he thought I would just cave to all of the bullying I am now getting from Southard Corporation.
Last edited by Unhappy with RBA on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

One thing I can't understand is why you trying to negotiate a lower price if you are so unhappy with the product?

If you really dislike the fact that they sold you inserts instead of full frame replacements, why not just ask for all your money back and then purchase another window?

Unhappy with RBA

#6 Post by Unhappy with RBA »

I did and they refused. I'm trying to avoid litigation, because I've never done anything like this before, but that's my only option now.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I didn't read your blog, but unless you have in writing (on the contract) that you were to receive a "full-frame tear-out" installation, you really don't have any basis for litigation. Sure, the salesmen may have mislead you, but in court it will be your word vs. his. The vast majority of theirs (and all) window installations in existing homes are "insert" style, like that which you received. That being said, if they did intentionally mislead you (not that it was just a misunderstanding) your only recourse is to continue shouting from the roof tops about your dissatisfaction.... There is probably a pretty easy way to figure this out though. Find out their pricing on an insert installation, compared to a full tear-out. They are typically outrageously priced to begin with, so I would not be surprised at all if the price that you paid is consistent with their insert installs, whereas their full tear-out would run hundreds more per window. If they won't share this info with you personally, you could try contacting BBB or other trade groups that they are members of to put a little pressure on them.

jeff1995

#8 Post by jeff1995 »

I am from Kansas, but 'escaped' to the Los Angeles area (much warmer). My company installs windows and doors. I have read your blog and find the pictures to be 'revealing' I do not sell Anderson products, for reasons found on this forum. Would like you to keep us updated in this dispute between Southard and yourself. Has the BBB given you any response or feedback? Best of luck.
JEFF