Ply-Gem Premium vs. Softlite Imperial LS

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
RobG

Ply-Gem Premium vs. Softlite Imperial LS

#1 Post by RobG »

I could use a little help...

I have two quotes for Ply Gem Premium (Mira?) and Softlite Imperial LS casements to replace old Pellas. Both are triple pane Argon; did the best I could to bid two identical setups.. LS is 5% more, which is not an issue. Midwest US location. Which is the best window...infiltration , SHGC and U seem to be on the side of the LS. Would sure appreciate guidance.

Best regards,
Rob

Windows on Washington

Re: Ply-Gem Premium vs. Softlite Imperial LS

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think the LS is probably worth the 5% premium in this comparison.

RobG

#3 Post by RobG »

Windows,

Do you know of specific issues agaist the Ply-Gem, or is it due to the LS' very good overall reputation?

Just wondering.

Thanks,
Rob

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

No issues with the PlyGem window. I think you hit on it with your theorization that the LS is just a bit better window.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I really can't disagree with WOW, I'd only add that both are pretty good choices, and the quality of installation will play a more important role in determining which serves you better, than the small difference in ratings and price. The PlyGem Premium is formerly the Great Lakes Grandview 5000 and is a well-regarded, solid performer... If you feel more comfortable with one installation company over the other, I'd put my eggs in that basket. :)

RobG

#6 Post by RobG »

All,

Thanks for the insights; sounds like I can't go too wrong either way. BTW; just got an "incentive" call from the Ply-Gem dealer stating that if they close the deal in May, they take 10% off...don't know yet if that's 10% total, or just window or just installation.

Can't say on installers; they are both swearing they are highly experienced guys.....but the proof's in the winter heat bill. I have heard, and you've underscored, that it is the installer than makes the difference.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

Rob

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Given equal installation, you should not see much difference on your energy bills between the two, nor should you see much difference in quality/functionality of the product. Again, I'd stress the installation. One thing that I have to say for the LS, is that the dealer of that product is buying direct through the manufacturer (often signifies a superior company), as compared to the Plygem dealer who is more than likely purchasing through a distributor..... Obviously, this is not a steadfast rule, but it may apply if you can't decipher which would be a better choice.