Serious Windows 501 & Window World 4000

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
tomanyoptions

Serious Windows 501 & Window World 4000

#1 Post by tomanyoptions »

Looking to purchase 15 double hung windows, 1 picture window, and 2 awnings for the basement in Northern NJ.
One contractor has suggested Serious Windows 501 series. From what I read on this board Serious Windows is mocked due to the Obama administration "endorsement".

But can someone tell me frankly, is it a decent window? Is it considered a mid-range or high to mid-range window?

I also received a quote from Window World. The estimate states "foam insulated jambs and head", but I don't see this option anywhere on their website.
Would I really be buying foam insulated windows?
Their brochure touts the AAMA Gold Label, yet some on this board do not have a high regard for this window.

Can someone give me some insight to the mixed messages?
Thanks..

Windows on Washington

Re: Serious Windows 501 & Window World 4000

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There Serious window is not bad, it is just not as good as some of the premium brands and is often marketed at a very high price.

It is really tough to say what might a good mid-priced window in your market because prices can be all over the place. Ex. People often pay exorbitant amounts for very poor windows and can just as easily get an absolute world beater for a very modest price.

The best thing you can do to be in the latter camp is to be your own best advocate and educate yourself on windows, options, and performance.

There are all types of options for each different window and Alside does have a foam option. I am not sure that is a worthwhile option in the case of the 4000 or if it has any real impact on the thermal values.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

Serious is ok but overpiriced.there are better windows...
Window World uses Alside. Alside do not make a quality window as most pro's here would agree with..alside are known to leak air, have bulky frames, and just arent up there with the quality brands. THEY ALSO COME WITH POCKET SILLS OR SNAP IN SLOPED SILLS..BAD DESIGNS..
you may want to look at Okna windows. Okna are probably one of the most energy efficient product available and very well designed. you can probably get Okna for less than the serious and Okna is a better window. gorell or sunrise are good as well.

tomanyoptions

#4 Post by tomanyoptions »

Thank you for your responses...

FYI, I was quoted $8,800 for 15 double hung and 1 picture.(at time of bid I didn't include the awning windows) This price included changing the trim and window sills and change exterior trim as needed.

Ranger, thank you for the information regarding the sills. So far, my research has included looking only at U, SHGC, VT factors, fusion-welded frames, number of chambers and just started looking at Performance Grade given by AAMA. As far as the vinyl is concerned, thruthfully, I can't tell windows apart.

How should a sill be constructed?
How much impact does foam insulation have on the performance of a window?

The research will go on.. I will look into the suggested windows as well as Soft-lite.
Thanks again..

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

tomanyoptions wrote:

How should a sill be constructed?
How much impact does foam insulation have on the performance of a window?
You are taking a critical look at the windows and that is good.

Sill types should be sloped and not pocket. There are a couple of good pocket sill type windows on the market but I do no care for that sill design and it has some definite shortcomings despite how it may be promoted.

Foam injection around the surround of the window is probably more important than foam in the chambers of the window in overall performance. There a a couple of windows in which foam in the frame and sash do have some impact on performance.

ranger

#6 Post by ranger »

One of the many reasons we like Okna windows is the fact that it was a true welded sloped sill. It's also a nice looking window.
Your prices are not bad..Okna should not be more than that.

ranger

#7 Post by ranger »

When I mentioned the price seemed ok, I am assuming it's a very basic install with no grids. However, I didn't realize you were also priced for the picture window as well.
A Premium window such as Okna or sunrise will usually have a DP Rating of at least 50 , an air leakage rate of
.08 or lower, and a total u-factor of .29 or lower on double pane.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looking that the average price per unit you were quoted, that gives you a pretty good budget and you should be able to get one of the more premium windows (Okna, Sunrise, Soft-Lite).

I would definitely take a look at those 3 and you will happily surprised how much better they are than what you looked at.

tomanyoptions

#9 Post by tomanyoptions »

Well, I took the advice of this forum's experts and had an Okna rep come out to show me the 400 and 800 windows... and WOW what a difference.
It really is a better window both structurally and esthetically. (Especially the 800).

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of Okna and Soft-lite reps by me, I was wondering if one of the pros from this forum would be able to recommend a window contractor in Northern NJ-I'm about 20 minutes from GW Bridge.

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

It is a nice window. If you saw an Okna dealer, he or she is the dealer in your area. Okna as well as other higher end companies usually have specific territories for their dealers so they dont compete against one another.
If you like the window and you like the company it sounds as if you are almost there. You mentioned you have seen other companies already .Getting too many quotes can get confusing.
What makes you want more estimates? Even if we knew of a dealer, the board rules prohibit us from mentioning company names.

tomanyoptions

#11 Post by tomanyoptions »

Well I was hoping that a pro/member from this forum, and in my area, would provide additional input to this thread, where I would be able to click the quote button.

ranger

#12 Post by ranger »

As I said, bothbthe 800 and 400 are sold windows with the 800 having an obvious edge.
If the pricingbwascanywhere near or below the pricing for Serious Window, you probably received very good pricing. Of course install has to be done properly.
Good luck...

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

tomanyoptions wrote:Well I was hoping that a pro/member from this forum, and in my area, would provide additional input to this thread, where I would be able to click the quote button.
Did you like the contractor and their approach?

If the 800 is priced anywhere near the Serious offering, that is a good deal on a far, far superior window.