Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Zen equivalents
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 am 

I contacted Soft-Lite, and they provided a dealer that offers Zen windows, which I'm told is the private label for Soft-Lite. While I see reviews on Soft-Lite Elements and Imperial LS, I don't see the ones that were quoted to me. They are as follows:

Zen Karma = Soft-Lite Barrington (not interested in these single hung)
Zen Nirvana = Soft-Lite Classic (double-hung)
U = .28
S = .22
V = .49
C = 61
Zen Lotus = Soft-Lite Pro (double-hung)
U = .18
S = .26
V = .42
C = 72

I am interested in the Classic (double pane, Low E Plus, 1 chamber argon gas) or Pro (triple-glass). I haven't been able to find reviews on these, although the U-factor and SHGC ratings are good. We're in the Denver area, and the afternoon sun is the biggest factor. Appreciate any recommendations. Is the Zen windows truly equivalent? I saw the bad Zen review for an Ohio installer, but the installer here gets excellent reviews. I will also be looking at Sunrise, but I fear the cost will be higher than we're willing to go for these. Appreciate any thoughts, recommendations.

Post subject: Re: Zen equivalents
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:47 pm 

The Classic and Barrington are pretty much the lower end offerings from SL. The Bainbridge and Pro are better (although admittedly not that far off). Personally, I prefer the LS or Elements by far. These are the A and B offerings from SL.
I'll reserve my comments on Zen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:20 am 

Thanks so much for your response!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:00 pm 

Being in Denver and getting the prevailing winds and temps that you get, I would recommend 2 things when it comes to windows.

1. Spend the money and get triple pane. Whether triple pane krypton vs. argon is the right choice depends on the cost vs. value proposition once you have the pricing on it.

2. Spend the money and get the tightest window that you can. Below a 0.10 is a must and 0.05 is even better.

I would echo HomeSealed comments on getting something from the Elements of LS would be preferable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:30 pm 

Saw another post where Zen wouldn't disclose which models they were selling. Maybe that was just an uninformed sales guy. Either way, these are not Softlite's top products.