How is the Revere Berkshire Elite with new modifications?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
thruthelookingglass

How is the Revere Berkshire Elite with new modifications?

#1 Post by thruthelookingglass »

Oops! I posted in the wrong place. I re-poste in the Windows Questions section, but it doesn't appear that I can delete this from here.

I've been reading the posts on here and other places, and I'm a little confused about the quality of the Revere Berkshire Elite. It tends to get a pretty bad rap in this forum, but after doing some research, it seems that - with the new upgrades they just put in in January - it sounds like a decent window - especially for its price point (almost half of other options). Is there something I am missing or not thinking of?

The package I was quoted is $431 a window and that includes a lifetime transferable warranty on installation as well as materials and capping with Alside Performance GB trim coil. The company has solid Angie's list ratings, Yelp ratings and an A+ BBB rating with no complaints. They are Lead-Safe EPA certified. The window won a Consumer's Digest Best Buy award, but I'm not sure if that is a paid rating so I don't know that I put any stock in it.

I also know three people who have used this company - however, they all put their windows in within the last 3 years, so not too long ago - but none have had any problems.

Still waiting to find out ai, vt and cr from the sales guy, but the specs I have so far are:
u factor .29
SGHC .30
Block and tackle balance system
"Broadview" narrow line frame and sash (which is very appealing to me since I don't feel we get enough light into our house anyway - once I get the VT we will know if that's meaningful or not, I guess?)
sloped sill
sash to sill interlock
compression bulb seal lock

You can see the new brochure here if it's helpful.
reverebuildingproducts.com/Libraries/PDFs/BerkElite_broch.sflb.ashx

We've also been given prices for Kensington, Soft-Lite Imperial LS, Okna 500 series, Alside Fusion, Ideal Majestic, Certainteed Byrn Mawr III. Some of those windows were obviously really low quality, but I'm not sure about this one. Thank you!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: How is the Revere Berkshire Elite with new modifications?tgf

#2 Post by masterext »

The only thing noteworthy about that window is the sill, its pretty good. Its everything else about the window( berkshire elite) that i dont like.
I notice the berkshire elite is NOT available in triple pane glass, that tells me the frame isnt strong.
Also, tilt in the sash and you will immediately notice how weak and flimsy the keeper is ( the keeper is what engages the lock). Its also rather cheap looking.
You will also notice cheap looking pads that are glued to the corners of the sash because without them, air would flow in at a rather high rate. A well designed window wont have to utilize those unsightly fuzzy pads.
the berkshire elite is the Alside Mezzo. Its just relabeled but its exactly the same.
Lastly, why so many estimates? I will tell you this, the soft lite, okna, and kensington are all very solid names. The alsiide is not in my opinion. Focus on the other three and you will be quite happy.