Andersen vs Paradigm

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
gonoles

Andersen vs Paradigm

#1 Post by gonoles »

Need help with vinyl replacement windows. Must pick between Andersen and Paradigm. While Andersen is a well-known name, I know almost nothing about Paradigm - other than sales rep saying it's the second coming. Can't find any reviews about Paradigm, and I know of no serious complaints about Andersen. Any advice would be appreciated.

Alacoyote

#2 Post by Alacoyote »

I have no personal experience with either Andersen or Paradigm but I would offer the following: If you're looking at Renewal by Andersen, there are a lot of posts on both this and the sister site about it, pro and con. Use the search function to locate these posts. As for Paradigm, according to the installation instructions for their "premium" window ("Tapestry"), the window is made using the Swiggle seal. The pros on this site have weighed in (and primarily against) this type of seal. Again, you can run a search to read the posts about Swiggle seals.

mfischer00

Re: Andersen vs Paradigm

#3 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment
Last edited by mfischer00 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Marilyn,
That is a terrible situation and I am certainly sympathetic. That said, from what you are describing that sounds like an installation issue more than a product issue. Certainly I could be wrong though, perhaps you could elaborate on the findings?
If your original description of failed caulking where the trim meets the window is accurate, I would say
1) that has nothing to do with the window,
2) caulk requires maintenance that would not be covered by product or workmanship warranties (in most cases), and
3) if failed caulk is the origin of the leakage, then that was a poor install that did not follow the industry's best practices as caulking is merely a fail-safe, and the last line of defense after the properly lapped nailing fin/housewrap/flashing interface.
Quite honestly I have never installed a Paradigm window in my life so I can't say how good or bad they are, but the vast majority of water infiltration issues in window and door openings are due to poor installation as opposed to product failure. I'd imagine that this is what the reps from Paradigm concluded, and why they could not warranty your windows or the subsequent damage that you incurred.
If anything, this situation should illustrate the importance of proper installation, and cause you to put the appropriate amount of emphasis on that aspect when choosing a replacement.
If my assessment of the situation (based on your description) is incorrect and it truly IS a product related failure, I'd recommend some legal counsel as $300k worth of damage is certainly not chump change.

mfischer00

#5 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment
Last edited by mfischer00 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I dont know; landscaping and mold remediation?????? Sounds like a very huge stretch here.
Although im not a fan of paradigm, they did offer to reinstall all the windows until landscaping and all that other stuff was thrown in. Im not pointing fingers at you or making excuses but i never heard of such demands for reinstalling faulty windows.
This is a great example why using a solid company who uses high quality products is key to a successful window project.
Good luck.

mfischer00

#7 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment
Last edited by mfischer00 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I watched the video in entirety.

There was much more wrong with that home than the windows alone. For the purposes of this forum, the windows are probably the most pertinent to these browsers but I would have like to have see a more detailed water test of the window.

Not questioning your results, however, it would have been nice to see it. Perhaps I scanned over in the midst of the video as several things were going on.

The framing issues, again from the video, do not appear to be massive or really structural. If they are, they should be taken up with the county as they should have not passed inspection.

The settlement cracks in the front walkway are certainly annoying and the result of poor site preparation and grading.

As it pertains to the water management, stucco is flawed as a cladding for a climate such as yours in my opinion to start with. The flashing details need to be redundant in triplicate. The first thing that sticks out is the lack of a drip cap. That is a bit no-no in stucco to start with.

If the water can get behind the stucco at the window head, it is doomed to create a failure point down the road.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties (that is putting it mildly) and I hope you can somehow be made whole on the project.

mfischer00

#9 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not excusing these "mistakes". They are much bigger than small mistakes.

Water is a home killer and if the exterior is done wrong, you are done for. Just depends when.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

I agree but i dont think blaming the window company for everything is justified at all. The wi dow company ( paradign) agreed to replace the windows but they should not expect to fix things that arent related to the windows just because they are an easy mark.
I do feel for you and hope you can remedy some of these (non window ) construction flaws.

mfischer00

#12 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment

fridge2020

#13 Post by fridge2020 »

Can you identify what part of their warranty that Paradigm is not honoring? If they are offering all new windows at no charge, I do not see how they are not honoring their warranty. I understand that there is the possibility that damage was caused due to their alleged product failure, but that may or may not be part of their warranty coverage (I suspect not). In addition, you would have to prove that, which in my opinion will be impossible due to the fact that ANY and EVERY knowledgeable (and ethical) expert will give the opinion that the installation of the windows and siding system (including lack of flashing, stucco job, etc) is primarily responsible for your issues. I'd also assume that Pardigm like other manufacturers also has a provision that the warranty on the windows is VOID if not installed to manufacturer spec.
Let me clarify, I feel absolutely TERRIBLE about your situation and I hope that the parties responsible take care of these issues whether they do so voluntarily or if compelled by court order. Having said that, this looks to me as though your attorneys see the window manufacturer as the only party here with deep enough pockets to go after, or perhaps the only company even left to go after. The builder, subcontractors, and building inspectors have far more culpability here.
Again, I sincerely hope that these issues get resolved for you, just be careful that your frustration and anger is directed toward the appropriate parties. You also want to be careful from a legal perspective that you don't libel or slander a company and end up with even more problems.

mfischer00

#14 Post by mfischer00 »

no comment
Last edited by mfischer00 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

I checked out the video as well, and in my experience I'd again say that poor installation is primarily to blame. That said, I obviously have not inspected it personally so it is impossible to say with certainty.
I do wish you the best in getting this resolved.