Comparing vinyl impact replacement windows

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Barbara

Comparing vinyl impact replacement windows

#1 Post by Barbara »

Which is a better window: Simonton Storm Breaker, PGT Premier Vue, or Armor Impact Plus/Gorell. These are hurricane impact windows in Tampa, Florida.

Windows on Washington

Re: Comparing vinyl impact replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is this for new construction or replacement? What are the quoted workscopes?

All three of those windows are pretty solid and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Barbara

#3 Post by Barbara »

This is for replacement! For the Soft-Lite/Gorrell the estimate is $1000 a window. Today I am getting estimates on the other two. The first guy sells all three but says by far soft lite is the best when it come to impact windows. I am also looking at 2 sets of French doors and full side-lites made by Neuma. Also impact glass. That estimate is $7500. Crazy amounts of money!!! And the building code was changed as of last April to mandatory impact glass! So no choice there!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Impact windows are not cheap so be prepared to spend a healthy penny.

All of those brands are well regarded so you have a nice collection to choose from.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. The Gorell 5400 is a very solid choice in that application.
On the doors, if you are looking at 2 sets of french doors with sidelights for $7500, that really is not bad, with or without impact rating.

fridge2020

#6 Post by fridge2020 »

3 good options. You can't go wrong.

Barbara

#7 Post by Barbara »

Thanks everyone for your reply! I feel better educated!! What about single hung compared to double hung? I never even open most of the windows, so how do you figure out which one to go with?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

As a general rule, vinyl window manufacturers consider single hungs to be for budget minded people and therefore very few make a premium grade window in single hung configuration. The exception is usually manufacturers based in the southern US where single hung windows dominate. PGT may be one of those exceptions, and if they are, going with single hungs in environments where windows are rarely opened can be a great idea that offers some price reduction.

Barbara

#9 Post by Barbara »

Yes that is what I just found out. Armor Impact Plus by Gorell and PGT Premier Vue only make double hung. And it seems like the PGT is more money than the Gorell. So I think I will go with the Armor Impact windows and the Neuma French door and side lites. Of course I have indoor shutters on every window that they are saying need to be removed! Shoot me now! LOL