Replacement Window Recommendations

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
ctnj

Replacement Window Recommendations

#1 Post by ctnj »

Just started getting quotes for replacement vinyl windows - first from a GC that a lot of our neighbors have used, another from a large local company that pushes Alside - have f/u to see what other brands they actually install. I'm in NC.

Any recommendations for brands to be inquiring? We're hoping to stay around $375/window (installed) - double hung, white, mullions. Alside quote Preservation Reserve approx. $400/window. The GC is quoting M&W (def. not interested in them) - I plan to ask about higher level PlyGem window pricing (Pro/Premium). Was just seeing what he would price/recommend.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Window Recommendations

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Knowing what I know about quality vinyl windows, I don't think that is a realistic budget for something in that category.

Couple of things:

1. I would not use a GC for installing windows despite the fact it is probably inside their skill set. Use a professional installer/crew that does windows and doors almost exclusively. This will minimize the pain and/or foul up potential.

2. Expand your search a bit. Nothing that is made by either of the two manufactures that you mentioned would make it into any home I would want to keep.

A large company that is pushing Alside is pushing one thing...volume and quick install in most cases.

Ask questions about air infiltration, sill design, design pressure, and U-Factor.

weedhopr

Re: Replacement Window Recommendations

#3 Post by weedhopr »

I had all the windows in my house replaced 3 years ago. Got Simonton Prism windows. Don't remember the cost. Purchase and installation was thru a local contractor. Haven't had any issues with the windows. Did find some areas this summer showing the installer got sloppy in areas. There are some window frames that you can see he wiped the white caulk off his finger on the white vinyl window frames :( (now shows as darker smear marks on the frame)
Installer went out of business about 2 years ago.
Had 2 screens replaced under warranty with no issues! Filled out web form on Simonton website, and replacement screen arrived about 2 weeks later.
First was shortly after installation, we noticed a hole in 1 screen. (Installer took care of ordering this replacement)
Second was this summer. A bird flew into one of the windows and ripped the screen.