contacts in Indianapolis area?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
cardnole56

contacts in Indianapolis area?

#1 Post by cardnole56 »

Hello all -
I'm looking to replace 9 old wood windows with vinyl and I was wondering if any of the experts on here know of any good contacts in the Indianapolis area I should get in touch with.

If not, do you have any tips for researching/finding good companies?

Any help is appreciated

Windows on Washington

Re: contacts in Indianapolis area?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The usually recommendation is to start out by looking at the windows that are often recommended and work back from there.

Soft-Lite Elements, Home Guard Innovations, Okna Insul-Tec and EnviroStar, Sunrise Restorations, Kensington Quantum 2, etc.

Dealers who are going to carry and demo those type of quality windows are going to have an attention to detail as indicated by their product selections.

Google those brands first and let me know.

cardnole56

#3 Post by cardnole56 »

thanks for your prompt response. I agree with what you said and I had a running list, including the options you listed, to research today. I'll post my findings.

thanks again

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

cardnole56 wrote:thanks for your prompt response. I agree with what you said and I had a running list, including the options you listed, to research today. I'll post my findings.

thanks again
Happy Hunting!!

:D :D

cardnole56

#5 Post by cardnole56 »

hello Windows on Washington.
i just had an appointment with a gentleman who owns a local establishment. He sells Thermal Industries windows and we talked about the 5000 model. Are you familiar? Any thoughts on it? It seemed pretty good to me but haven't found a ton of info online.

i also have an appointment with a local dealer of Okna windows tomorrow. looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

thanks again

cardnole56

#6 Post by cardnole56 »

had an appointment with a local company today about the okna 500 series. i've been waiting for this meeting as many on here sing the praises of okna. i was impressed with the window and the pricing, which is $4500 for 9 windows.
i'm about 99.9% sure i'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. the only concerns i have are the block and tackle balance and that the 500 series doesn't have a reinforced meeting rail.
would any of you knowledgeable guys be able to give me some insight as to whether or not these items are deal breakers and why or why not?

any help is appreciated.

thanks

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not a deal breaker at all. Never had an issue with a block and tackle in over 10-years of installing windows with them. I believe they're tested with more cycles than constant force. The OKNA extrusions are plenty thick enough mil wise to withstand any potential bowing of deflection under 99% of most circumstances.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I think we have seen maybe 1 break on the block and tackle but it is up for argument as to whether it was the balance or the customer.

Great system in my opinion and actually superior to constant force for long term action, linear application of force, and resistance to dirt fouling.

That all being said, I wouldn't choose a lesser window over a better window because of the balance system.

cardnole56

#9 Post by cardnole56 »

thank you Delaware Mike and Windows on Washington. I appreciate the info.
i'm not very concerned about the block and tackle balance but i must admit that i'm fairly concerned about not having reinforcement at the meeting rail. Seems surprising to me that a window of this quality doesn't have it. I do understand your point, Mike, about their extrusions being made thick enough to negate the pressure on the meeting rail.

i'm going to ask a few more questions to try and find out Okna's reasonings for not having reinforcement. maybe there's a simple answer.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simple reason is that the mil thickness in the 500 makes is largely unnecessary depending on the unit size.

Okna 500 is a DP 50 (i.e. 170mph wind speed).

If you want the reinforcement (a nice option), look at the Okna 800. DP 60 and has reinforcement.

cardnole56

#11 Post by cardnole56 »

just to wrap this thread up, i went ahead and placed an order for 9 Okna 500DX DH windows for $4,500. i liked the windows (as do most of you on this board), i liked the salesman and the local window company that sells/installs the Okna, and i feel like that price is right in line with what i've seen elsewhere.

thank you guys again for helping a newby make an informed decision. i appreciate it.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nice follow up.

Be sure to post up some before and after photos.

We love happy stories after the fact.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

All great advice above and great choice. The lack of reinforcement is not a concern in this window. One of very few (if any) products to still hit that DP50 with no reinforcement needed.

chughes1

#14 Post by chughes1 »

Hello cardnole56,

I know this post is old, but did not see a way to contact you directly. I am also in the Indianapolis, IN area and purchased my first home. (woot!). I was wondering who you used for your Okna 500 series windows.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

chughes1,

Feel free to email me and I will try to get you some names in Indy.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net