Thoughts on Affinity Elite and Ideal Ultratite

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Zhdason

Thoughts on Affinity Elite and Ideal Ultratite

#1 Post by Zhdason »

Hi All,

I've been researching vinyl replacement windows for a while now for my 1950 home. I've gathered that Okna, Sunrise, and Softlite are generally among the most highly regarded manufacturers, and I've received quotes for all, or, well, almost all of these (someone is coming out next week to quote the Softlite Imperial Pro and Elements).

Ive also received quotes on Affinity Elite and Ideal Ultratite windows. I haven't seen as much commenting on either of these. The few comments I've seen on the Affinity have been good but expressed reservations about them not having as much of a track record as the others. The comments I've seen on the Ideals have been pretty negative. Any thoughts on these two brands and models?

Just for a little info, I've received quotes on the following, ordered from HIGHEST quote to LOWEST quote.

Ideal Ultratite (formerly Ultraweld)
Sunrise Vanguard
Affinity Elite
Okna 800
Okna 400
Simonton Vantage Point 6100

I'm looking to have 6 double hungs installed, and perhaps a picture flanked by two casements (I didn't include this window in the estimate ordering above). The quotes are for each brand have them each configured with options so that they are, generally, all in the same ball park as far as efficiency numbers ( though the Okna 800, and I think the affinity elite, tout a .01 Air infiltration rating that is significantly higher than the others around ~.05). At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Okna 800dx because the price was actually better than I expected, is highly recommended on this site and others as well, has great efficiency numbers, and looked like a well built window when I saw it (I also thought the Affinity looked like I well built window as well), although, admittedly, I don't have a real eye for windows.

So, any, and all input is welcome concerning any of the windows mentioned above, but I'm specifically looking for thoughts on the mentioned models from Ideal and Affinity.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Thoughts on Affinity Elite and Ideal Ultratite

#2 Post by masterext »

You are on the right track as far as window quality. The Ideal and simonton are at the bottom of the list ( way at the bottom). Stick to the brands at the top. I also offer the Affinity Eiite, its a solid window, much better than anything Ideal offers.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've installed products from all of those manufacturers including all of those series except for the Ideal model. You would be best served sticking with the 800 as it's engineering, fit and finish, and quality control is above the other models.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

No brainer if you ask me.

If the Okna 800 is middle of the pack, that is the best window of that group and at the mid-level price...done deal.

Zhdason

#5 Post by Zhdason »

Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated.

I didn't mention anything before about installation. The windows being replaced look to be the original windows (home built in 1950) and are steel casement windows. The steel windows just sit completely within the window opening and there is no sort of casing or framing around the interior, except for the window sill which has ceramic tile (picture attached).

The previous owner had 4 of the north facing upstairs windows replaced 2 years ago with Ideal Series 5000 (hence the original question concerning thoughts on Ideal Ultratite), and, I don't really know all the terminology exactly, had new wood interior frames installed with colonial style trim an aprons.

To follow is installation only related details that the Okna 800 installer listed as part of their quote:

-Remove & Haul away existing Steel Windows
-Furnish & Install new OKNA 800DX Double Hung Windows (6)
-New Extensions Jambs, Sills & 2 1/2'' Colonial Trim (Unfinished)
-Exterior Cladding in White PVC Trim Coil
-10 year Workmanship Warranty via (company name here)

Also, would/should removing the existing ceramic tile be part of the installation, I imagine it would, but I'm not sure.

I've liked all of the people I've received quotes from, have seen no pushy sales tactics, like the limited time only pricing tactics, or anything like that. The company with the Okna windows have both the most ratings on Angie's list and the most consistent A rating, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Any specific questions you could suggest that I should ask the potential installers, or things to look out for?

Thanks again,
J
Attachments
original_window.JPG
(102.94 KiB) Downloaded 603 times

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I would consider removing the ceramic sill tiles and replacing with a nice deep wood stool to allow the jamb extensions and casings to have a nice flow together.

karenanne

#7 Post by karenanne »

Just curious. What was your decision? I live in the same area. Also wanting to know the contractor you chose. Would you please post after the installation to let us know how it went?