WASCO vs. Sunrise Windows - Vinyl Replacements

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
dcmom

WASCO vs. Sunrise Windows - Vinyl Replacements

#1 Post by dcmom »

Hello! We have three questions about vinyl replacement windows for original 1960's interior windows and separate exterior storms...

1. Looking to replace 10 windows in ranch home. One is a large picture (101") window and thinking of casement (a 1/4, 1/2 fixed picture window, 1/4) vs. same set up with sliders. From what we've learned, a casement offers 3 frames to offer more support vs. sliders which are all in the same frame. Should this be a valid concern? Price is about $500 more for casement.

2. Eight windows seem to exceed width for one double hung (around 45" to 55" w x 38" h). We have been told sliders are more cost effective than 2 double hungs...as it seems the price of two double hungs exceeds one slider. Is a double hung that much better or will sliders be fine? Budget concerns here....

3. We live in southeastern WI, think Milwaukee, and have narrowed it down to two dealers:

One is Sunrise with a GC putting them in. He did the neighbors across the street and in 10 years, one problem with a handle that was replaced in a timely fashion with no cost. Don't know yet which Sunrise Window we are being offered...trying to find out.

Obviously, tempting.

The other is a local company called WASCO (WI Aluminum and Siding Co) and has their own employees do the install. From what the rep told us, they only have one series of window....impressed with them too.

Both company's windows are argon gas filled, low E glass, double panned glass and will have form fitted aluminum around them vs. wood we have now which is hard to upkeep.

Price seems to be about the same for both companies (WASCO is $175 more) and includes windows + install and a life time warranty on both company's windows.

Any thoughts on whom to choose in terms of Sunrise vs. WASCO?
Thanks, as trying to decide in time to beat the snow flying in MKE!

Windows on Washington

Re: WASCO vs. Sunrise Windows - Vinyl Replacements

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would add one more shop to consider. If you haven't called Brandon at HomeSealed, you need to. He is a regular contributor on here and runs an absolutely fantastic shop there in Milwaukee. You won't find a more honorable, family run, and fantastic product than with HomeSealed.

You can click on his name here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6289&start=15

dcmom

#3 Post by dcmom »

Thank you for your recommendation. We may look into them as well. We have eliminated ply-gem and had really narrowed it down to Sunrise and WASCO and just were wondering what people thought between the Sunrise windows and WASCO ones.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise is the nicer unit there.

fridge2020

#5 Post by fridge2020 »

Sunrise makes a nice window although the thought of using a different company to source the window and installation is not wise. At some point you will have an issue, and it will result in finger-pointing. Window rep blames installer and vice-versa. I'd recommend using a company that sell the window and install as a package. They don't need to make the window, but at least sell it so they are responsible for servicing it.
I'm not familair with Wasco (local company to you?) , but from doing some research it doesn't look like anything special. Apparently they still use spiral balances? Talk about being stuck in the stone age! If they are cost cutting in that area it makes me wonder what other corners they might be cutting. Red flags at the very least.

dcmom

#6 Post by dcmom »

Thank you for your comments and thoughts/research on the WASCO window.

In regard to Sunrise, I should point out that the contractor is both selling us the Sunrise windows and installing them. Sorry for any misunderstanding there.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Sunrise is definitely the better of the windows you're presently considering. As WoW said, you really should contact HomeSealed and take a look at the Okna window lines. His professionalism and knowledge of the industry are second to none.

dcmom

#8 Post by dcmom »

Thank you all for your replies. It does help to have recommendations of others to contact and the feedback to think about, as choosing windows is much more intensive than I would have thought! Much appreciated!

fridge2020

#9 Post by fridge2020 »

dcmom wrote:Thank you for your comments and thoughts/research on the WASCO window.

In regard to Sunrise, I should point out that the contractor is both selling us the Sunrise windows and installing them. Sorry for any misunderstanding there.
Sorry for misunderstanding. That is a better scenario. If you like Sunrise, you will want the Restorations or Vanguard line. The base Sunrise is fine, but those are better. Don't consider the Essentials at all.

dcmom

#10 Post by dcmom »

Thank you for your thoughts on the Sunrise line of windows. I did find out it is the Vanguard that we are being offered and quoted. I appreciate this message board as it has helped us get closer to a decision. Much appreciated again!

fridge2020

#11 Post by fridge2020 »

Vanguard is very good. The Wasco is not in the same league from what I can tell. For an apples to apples comparison I'd look at something the Okna mentioned above, that line will actually perform a tick better even than the Vanguard. Still a little confused though about your description of the Sunrise installer. You mentioned GC above, that is why I initially thought that windows were coming from an alternative source, as "GC" type companies that do everythign from kitchens, to windows, to additions rarely use a quality window. I assume this is a company specializing in windows or exterior remodeling as opposed to a general contractor? If not, I'd recommend the latter.

dcmom

#12 Post by dcmom »

You are correct in your assumption and my apologies for using a term that I should have been more precise with. This is a company that specializes vs. someone who advertises to "do it all". Their focus is windows and siding. In checking them out from reviews of our neighbor and beyond (on-line, etc), we do feel confident with them and the window choice they are offering at this point. Thank you for your opinion and the comments on the Okna...more to consider! Although, we are leaning, at this point, more to the Sunrise - Vanguard ones. Our thanks again!

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

dcmom, I hope that you don't think this is too forward, but would you mind if I asked what company is offering the Vanguard product? I prefer not to comment on threads in my area as I am not trying to solicit business here, just very curious to know that in this case. The reason being is the the primary dealer in this area for that product to my knowledge is typically substantially higher priced than Wasco... I'm wondering if perhaps the comparison is not apples to apples (perhaps some detail is skewed?), or if maybe this is a dealer from outside of the Milwaukee area?

dcmom

#14 Post by dcmom »

Hi -
We thank you for your comment and concern and hope these details help.

Somehow naming the company does not sit well with us. We are sorry. We can tell you that the two quotes were for the same window type...vinyl replacement, double panned glass, low E, argon filled, lifetime warranty. We matched design...casements in the same place, same design pattern with grids and sliders and one double hung in same places. Perhaps the price was closer than one would expect because we did get 5 quotes? It was not a pressure sale and in fact we took close to 3 months to reach a decision from the time we started getting quotes, going back to some of the companies a couple of times each with questions. We can tell you the company is not in MKE county, but one of the surrounding ones. Perhaps that is why?

FYI - As we have now made a decision and thank all for your helpful comments :), we will be closing this thread.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

No worries dcmom. No hidden motives or anything like that, just curious. If anything, mentioning the company in a positive light here would only be a free advertisement for them. Weathertight is the primary dealer for Sunrise(Restorations) in our area, and to my knowledge, Sunrise did not offer the Vanguard in this market per their agreement. Perhaps there have been new developments?... Again, pure curiosity on my part. The Vanguard is a very good product, congrats on the choice. :)