Milgard Classic review

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
pdxman1

Milgard Classic review

#1 Post by pdxman1 »

First, thank all of you who participate on this board for the help in researching my window purchase. I found tons of info here that I could find nowhere else.

I had single pane aluminum windows circa 1974 in my house, some with storm windows, some without. I had 12 of these windows replaced. I choose Milgard Classic with Low E and argon and Super Spacer. I also had 3/16 + 1/8 glass on all the windows for better sound control. U ratings are .31 for the opening windows and .28 for the fixed.

First, some observations that will be obvious to most, but may be of help for some who haven't considered it. I definately notice the reduction of visible light throught the new windows. I knoew there would be some and this is the tradeoff for the energy efficiency, but I notice it constantly. I'm sure I'll get used to it. I also notice the added bulk of the vinyl frames compared to the aluminum. I knew this would be the case, but I wasn't willing to pay more for the fiberglass frames.

Now onto the particulars of the Milgard Classic windows I got. One window had a frame that had a very noticable bow in it. The installer agreed and called Milgard service and they came and fixed it on site. It looks fine now. All of the windows operate smoothly. They look good for vinyl and the finish quality of the welds is good - better actually than the display models that I saw in the dealers showroom. I chose the desert tan color and it looks good on my house, it is fairly neutral and doesn't stand out as much as I think white would. There is a problem with the screens. Virtually all of the screens have gaps at the top. Some are all the way across and some have a gap at one corner only. Those are out of square, but they are all too short. I don't know how this happens in the manufacturing process - they know how big the windows are. Milgard sent someone out to measure and will be replaceing the screens. I'll followup when they are replaced.

The windows are quieter than my old windows, but I can't say how much of the improvement is due to the 3/16 + 1/8 glass package vs. the standard glass package because I had the glass upgrade on all the windows. The upcharge was not that large.

So I am happy with my purchase, except for the screens and it looks like Milgard will be fixing them. Thanks again for your help, folks.

JoeBeck408

#2 Post by JoeBeck408 »

How many times did they have to measure the screens? :lol:

pdxman1

#3 Post by pdxman1 »

JoeBeck408 wrote:How many times did they have to measure the screens? :lol:
I got my new screens a few weeks ago and forgot to update here. They measured them once and sent out the screens a week or so later. The new screens are good - not perfect, but I am happy with them. One or two have tiny gaps at the top if they are pushed all the way to the bottom, but by tiny, I mean you would probably not be able to slide a piece of paper through them. And by seating the screen just a little higher, the gap dissapears.

The screens are now more difficult to get in and out because of the tight fit, but I don't expect to be removing them very often, so that is a trade off I can live with.

So overall, while the screen design could be better, I am pleased with the windows. Since I have no real life experience with other brands, I cannot compare.

Door&WindowPlus

#4 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

I think your mistaken when you say your Milgards have the Superspacer. They come with the Intercept spacer. It's the spacer that most of the windows I sell come with but I have never seen a Milgard with it. You sure you bought Milgard windows.

pdxman1

#5 Post by pdxman1 »

Door&WindowPlus wrote:I think your mistaken when you say your Milgards have the Superspacer. They come with the Intercept spacer. It's the spacer that most of the windows I sell come with but I have never seen a Milgard with it. You sure you bought Milgard windows.
I got Milgard Classic with Super Spacer from the Tualatin Oregon factory. The installer said they don't usually do it, but I asked when I was at a factory show and tell event and they may have thought they would lose the sale if they didn't do it.

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Hopefully someone can fill me in on this because I just called Milgard and they said they dont offer it. Can you give me the name of the company that sold you the windows. My Milgard representative whats to give them a call. I'm sorry but I dont think you got the Superspacer. Milgard says they dont have the superspacer option YET, just the intercept spacer!!! I could be wrong but if Milgard corporate doesnt know about having the superspacer how the hell does one factory in Oregon have it and no others???

pdxman1

#7 Post by pdxman1 »

Door&WindowPlus wrote:I'm sorry but I dont think you got the Superspacer. Milgard says they dont have the superspacer option YET, just the intercept spacer!!! I could be wrong but if Milgard corporate doesnt know about having the superspacer how the hell does one factory in Oregon have it and no others???
Search here and you'll find a few other people who have experience with Milgard with Super Spacer. Search on my username and you'll find the threads where I found out that I should ask about it. The factory rep said that they use it in their curved shapes, so that is why they are set up to use it. My salesperson was surprised when they did it for me, so I understand your skepticism.