Best Product to Clean / Preserve Vinyl?

For those self-installers
joe123

Best Product to Clean / Preserve Vinyl?

#1 Post by joe123 »

Hi.

Ok, for those of us who have installed Vinyl Retro Fit windows, what is the best way to keep the vinyl clean and white?

Some say to use SoftScrub w/Bleach, others say Simple Green does the trick.

Any pros/cons about these or other better solutions out there?

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

At a window dealer's meeting, we were once told not to use products with bleach on PVC. Supposedly the chlorine in bleach can affect the chlorine in PVC (polyvinylchloride). I've never heard that anywhere else.

But I've often used Soft Scrub to clean and polish vinyl.

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

Go to the manufacturer's web site and find the maintenance and care instructions. Most will say to use a mild detergent and warm water. I use simple green and softscrub without bleach.

joe123

#4 Post by joe123 »

earwax wrote:Go to the manufacturer's web site and find the maintenance and care instructions. Most will say to use a mild detergent and warm water. I use simple green and softscrub without bleach.

Thanks All. Yes, I went to the manufacture's web site, but they always take the safe side.

Seems like SoftScrub without Bleach and Simple Green works.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Those both work, but what I'd suggest to everyone who gets new windows is to just clean them more often, and not just the glass.
A once or twice a year thorough cleaning of frames, sashes, and weatherstripping will do wonders for making any type of window look new and will actually make them last longer. The same is true for automobiles if you need an analogy.

mman

#6 Post by mman »

Well, as far as what NOT to use, most manufacturers agree that using Acetone, Lacquer thinner, ammonia, Iso Alcohol, or WD40 are bad. So make sure to not use any of these when cleaning vinyl as it will weaken or take off the finish to new vinyl windows.