Egress window

For those self-installers
Duffy

Egress window

#1 Post by Duffy »

I am going to add an egress window in my house and was looking for any advice to do or not do. I have a poured foundation and the room is already finished that it will be in. I was thinking of using a 4ft x 4ft slider for this application. Home Depot had a Pella brand for 246$.
I am also going to install a egress well. Any advise would be great. Thank You.

PK

#2 Post by PK »

Make sure you check the clear openinng for that particular window, it may not meet egress requirements

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I agree. A 48" wide slider may not give you the 20" clear opening width needed for egress. A slider doesn't open a full 50%. Plus, you subtract the frame dimension and it will be close depending on the particular brand window.

Another suggestion would be a european style tilt-n-turn window which many manufacturers carry.
It's a dual operation window that opens up like a door for egress and also tilts in from the top for secure ventilation. They are available as a single sash window or as a french swing window as shown below in which both sashes open wide. This type window would be a much safer choice for easy egress.

Duffy

#4 Post by Duffy »

Thanks for the input on the different stle window. WOuld this still be available from a home improvement store?

PK

#5 Post by PK »

I just did a job where i had to install the smallest possible egress winndow annd it ended up being a harvey 36 x 37 casemennt with an egress hinge. You may have a hard time finding the type of window that he suggested aas a DIY

Tru_blue

Egress window

#6 Post by Tru_blue »

The least expensive egress window would probably be a slider (as you mentioned) or a double hung. One of the most expensive would be a tilt turn, but they're a fun window to have. :) Tilt turns are usually not found in the big box home improvement stores. Since you need a 20" clear opening width, a single (instead of a 2-wide) casement or tilt-turn could be used but it has to have at least 20" clearance, so you would simply have to make sure it's ordered wide enough.

gardenpartyfish

Egress window

#7 Post by gardenpartyfish »

I'd definitely have a Licensed Structural Engineer sign off on your work. If you do unseen damage, your home owners insurance may stick you in the future.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Another option is a window made by LB Plastics which may be available in your area as I think there made in North Carolina. It's a double hung with special hardware that allows the bottom sash to be raised higher and swing upward giving you more clearance in a smaller unit.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

after about a year and half...I think he probably got it figured out.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Thanks WoW, Ain't it funny how time slips away. Ummmmm details, dates, got so much window crap in my head there isn't room for common sense. I'm now at the point where I need a bread crumb path to find my way home at night.