I have replacement window questions

For those self-installers
stepcuz

I have replacement window questions

#1 Post by stepcuz »

OK, who knew there was this much to learn about something like a window??

I'm going to be replacing 20 windows in a 1924 craftsman, I didn't win the lottery so I will be using either, Pella, Jeld-wen, or Milgard, from the big box stores.
Price is only about 500 clams either way so, which one would be the better choice or does it even matter?

I am wondering about the slopped sill, only Pella has what they call a 'slopped sill adapter', do the other offer it and I just don't know it?
Is it a good thing or not?

Also, I'm a bit freaked out about measuring, just how critical is it?
I can only open but a few of my windows so this presents a problem.

9 of my windows are currently casement that open in. No one offers anything like that so I'm going to go with double hung, there is a stop of sorts in the frame, why I don't know, but it is only 'proud' about 1/4 in. is this enough?

Thanks for your help!

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Measuring is critical.

Do you mean that you only have $500 to spend per window...?

If by a sloped sill adapter, Pella is referring to a "sill angle" or other clip in extrusion, yes....most other companies offer that.

I think at this point that you are probably better suited contacting a contractor that is experienced in this sort of thing. If you are worried about spending money and mis-measure a couple of windows...there goes all the savings that you might have benefited from by installing your own windows.

stepcuz

#3 Post by stepcuz »

Windows on Washington wrote:Measuring is critical.

Do you mean that you only have $500 to spend per window...?

If by a sloped sill adapter, Pella is referring to a "sill angle" or other clip in extrusion, yes....most other companies offer that.

I think at this point that you are probably better suited contacting a contractor that is experienced in this sort of thing. If you are worried about spending money and mis-measure a couple of windows...there goes all the savings that you might have benefited from by installing your own windows.
Thanks for the reply.
On the measuring, what I'm asking is how critical, are we talking 1/16, a 1/32, 1/4, just how much play do I have?
Like I said some don't open and it's going to be tough to get real accurate.

If I had 500 per window to spend we wouldn't be having this discussion.
The price difference between the 3 brands is only about 500 bucks.

Is a 1/4 stop enough or do I need to beef that up?

Nothing personal but I don't need a contractor to do what I am more than capable of doing myself. And with what they charge I could screw up every window in the house and still be ahead.

I know you earn your money, just like everyone else does, but 150-200 or more per window is shameful for my job.
Just my opinion.

Thanks for your help!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Understood. I was basing my needing a contractor statement on the wording of your previous post. It was unclear and indicated alot of uncertainty with the install process altogether.

As far as measuring goes, standard is to leave 1/8" on all 4 sides of the window. Obviously this would translate to a 1/4" cutback on the Height and Width.

The interior stops that you mention should be significant enough to accommodate the new window and they do not handle any of the load of holding the window and the 1/4" should be enough to cover any gap.

Get a bunch of shims and some spray foam and you should be okay.

How are you planning on trimming the exterior of the window?

stepcuz

#5 Post by stepcuz »

Windows on Washington wrote:Understood. I was basing my needing a contractor statement on the wording of your previous post. It was unclear and indicated alot of uncertainty with the install process altogether.

As far as measuring goes, standard is to leave 1/8" on all 4 sides of the window. Obviously this would translate to a 1/4" cutback on the Height and Width.

The interior stops that you mention should be significant enough to accommodate the new window and they do not handle any of the load of holding the window and the 1/4" should be enough to cover any gap.

Get a bunch of shims and some spray foam and you should be okay.

How are you planning on trimming the exterior of the window?
OK, I can deal with an 1/8th of play, it just seemed depending on what you read that this had to be almost laser perfect measuring.

These are all going to be the 'pocket' frame replacements so I won't be disturbing the outside trim at all. Just remove the old sash, clean up the hole and slide the new window in place.
I helped a buddy do one of his windows this way and it went real smooth.