proper shimming

For those self-installers
mark

proper shimming

#1 Post by mark »

When I shim new replacment installation of Crestline double hung window, the chanel edge of jamb causes pressure on front edge of window in excess of back edge of window... allowing top window to loose tension and slide to bottom sill whenever open. How do I shim with even pressure when jamb has channel on inside and outside jamb edge? thanks for any help... amatuer

Windows on Washington

Re: proper shimming

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you shimming from both the inside and outside of the window?

mark

Re: proper shimming

#3 Post by mark »

Windows on Washington wrote:Are you shimming from both the inside and outside of the window?
No, I am not shimming from inside and outside.... by the installation instructions, I am up against the outside blind stop and header after I tilt the window into position. I have checked these for plumb before proceeding to the windo placement. But bing against the blind stop, there is no way for me to shim form the outside? Should I be removing blind stops completely, so that I can shim form both inside and outside? Then replace blind stops? That sounds reasonable?? This still does not answer the problem of gap between the window jam and the house jam caused by the replacement window having a channel edge on both the inside and outside corner>?? When I shim, the chanel edge goes tight, but the plastic window jam that tensions the spring loaded sash tracks still has a gap from the chanel edge?
thanks
amatuer