Is an inside install still possible with this?

For those self-installers
Post Reply
Message
Author
wijacket
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 am

Is an inside install still possible with this?

#1 Post by wijacket » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi there,

I have 13 DH wood windows that needs replacing, and am thinking about going the DIY route. After inspecting my existing windows, I found that the inside stop is behind another piece of wood (I don't know the correct name for that, maybe an "inside frame"?). I attached a couple of pictures here for illustration, one is a regular window, and the other is a window in my unfinished basement. My thinking is that it is going to be a lot of work to remove the trim, this "inside frame", then the inside stop, for an inside install. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Image
Image

User avatar
Windows on Washington
Posts: 4478
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Contact:

Re: Is an inside install still possible with this?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:39 pm

That jamb liner (cream colored piece on the natural wood color window) comes out and the replacement installs up against the back side of that interior stop.

wijacket
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Is an inside install still possible with this?

#3 Post by wijacket » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Windows on Washington wrote:That jamb liner (cream colored piece on the natural wood color window) comes out and the replacement installs up against the back side of that interior stop.
Oh I see. Thanks much for the help!

TheWindowNerd
Posts: 1712
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:52 pm
Location: SE PA & NJ; CT
Contact:

Re: Is an inside install still possible with this?

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:44 pm

If the unit is not aluminum clad exterior it will be easier to remove the screen stop then stick the replacement unit out and pull it back up against th interior stop.
The above will keep you from removeing the interior casing as well.

buddy110
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Lower Hudson Valley NY
Contact:

Re: Is an inside install still possible with this?

#5 Post by buddy110 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 pm

anthony wrote:If the unit is not aluminum clad exterior it will be easier to remove the screen stop then stick the replacement unit out and pull it back up against th interior stop.
The above will keep you from removeing the interior casing as well.

I'll second that. it looks like you'll have to remove the moldings to get that stop out. Doing it Anthony's way would avoid all that. You'll have to install a new exterior stop and cap with aluminum.

GL

wijacket
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Is an inside install still possible with this?

#6 Post by wijacket » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 am

buddy110 wrote:
anthony wrote:If the unit is not aluminum clad exterior it will be easier to remove the screen stop then stick the replacement unit out and pull it back up against th interior stop.
The above will keep you from removeing the interior casing as well.

I'll second that. it looks like you'll have to remove the moldings to get that stop out. Doing it Anthony's way would avoid all that. You'll have to install a new exterior stop and cap with aluminum.

GL
Thank you all for responding to my questions.

Post Reply