Grouting Vinyl Windows (Pic's)

For those self-installers
Texwindow

Grouting Vinyl Windows (Pic's)

#1 Post by Texwindow »

Hello everyone, I am in the process of changing out my windows. My house is a brick veneer and currently has single pane aluminium window. I have replace three of the window so far with vinyl windows and used 100% silicone caulk to fill in the 1/6" to 1/2" gaps between the vinyl window and the brick. I really do not like the look of caulk and was told by a window installer that he installs his window with tile grout between the frame and brick. He said you can not get caulk to finish out and look as good as grout. Has anyone ever seen this done? How did it look? Does it keep water out? I have done the best job I can caulking by tapeing the cracks off and tooling the caulk and the caulk seems to really show its imperfections. Please advise. Thanks Kevin :?: :?:
Last edited by Texwindow on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HomeSealed

Re: Grouting Vinyl Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Up here we will build a buck frame rather than installing directly in brick, but perhaps that is not an option for you. I can say that I've seen grout used against vinyl window frames on the interior of showers and it won't adhere. You'll have no seal, plus it cracks up and falls out. It sounds like the solution to your problem is a proper, professional caulk job. It can be done to look very nice and clean by someone who knows what they are doing using the proper materials.

Texwindow

#3 Post by Texwindow »

Ill take some pics and post. Maybe I am just expecting too much.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with Homesealed.
If the gap is to big for caulk then a flat or L peice of coil or vinyl back caulked and overlapping the window frame can be used to close to wide of a gap and keep the look very clean.

Texwindow

#5 Post by Texwindow »

Here are my pics before and after. Would this caulking/installation job be good enough for you? or am I being to pickey? Be honest. Thanks http://community.webshots.com/album/578087692beyjOu

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Grouting Vinyl Windows (Pic's)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

My opinion: While it is not the style of caulking I do (I don't wet my finger and smooth it), the caulk is well within what is acceptable from a professional installer.

Texwindow

#7 Post by Texwindow »

By Style do you mean type (100% Silcone)? If so what do you use? You say you do not wet you finger, what do you do to get it smooth? I used a mixture of water and a little bit of clear hand soap, just enough so the silcone does not stick to my finger?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

By style I mean that after 50,000+ tubes of caulk my caulking is near perfection without smoothing it with a finger.

Texwindow

#9 Post by Texwindow »

Well I guess so. Thanks for you opion and sharing your knowledge. Thanks

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with W4U, that caulk job really isn't all thaaaat bad. It doesn't scream "professional installation", but as he said, it is within the limits of acceptability imo... A good caulk to use would be Quad by OSI. Very high quality, and has somewhat of a "self-leveling" characteristic. I don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying that it is probably the most commonly used product by window pros.

windowman736

#11 Post by windowman736 »

Whether you use silicone or latex, you should use backer rod before you caulk if the gap you are caulking is more tha 1/8". Backer rod will prevent the caulk bead from seeping into the gap and will also act as a weatherstrip.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Backer rod is part of commercial caulking and is used in joint desgn as needed.
Mostly it creates a two sided joint so that the caulk can stretch properly.