Installation Question

For those self-installers
black325xi

Installation Question

#1 Post by black325xi »

Looking to replace my aluminum windows with vinyl (simonton or soft-lite or sunrise). The question is the original windows are 2-3/4" thick and the replacements are 3-3/4" and will be installed in a brick veneer. Because of existing blinds the installed depth into the house can go no futher. Does the extra inch go to the outside or do the blinds have to go? If the inch goes to the outside, how do you seal the brick to the bottom of the window sill?

Thanks
Dan

Texwindow

Re: Installation Question

#2 Post by Texwindow »

Hello Dan, I started installing Jeld Wen windows in my house and I have no prior experience, but Jeld Wen has a seal adapter that clips on the bottom of the window and you caulk this to the brick. I am not sure of others methods. In my case I cut back into the sheetrock 1 1/4" to be able to screw to the 2x4 rough in frame. I have also read in this forum where people screw into the brick. I personally would not do that.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are couple of schools of thought on this type of installation but I also prefer fastening to the framing of the home. You can still screw into the studs and have the exterior edge of of the new window mounted to the inside edge of the brick.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Normally the new window thickness is 3 1/4" excluding the screen track.
Attaching, insulating, and finishing are your main areas of concern.
Attaching: yes can push the window out into the brick. First make sure your MO and RO are the same or close enough, some old alum frames have wider ID than OD this is not the norm. You may have to redrill or angle the screws back to hit the studs.
Insulating: after you rip the window out and before you insert the new unit you may want to insulate/air seal the drain plane(gap between the brick and sheathing if this is brick over frame). You can stuff with foam backer rod and then air seal with spray foam. After setting unit insulate.
Finishing: hopefully you can run a bead of caulk around the perimeter to seal. The bottom may have to use sill angle/adapter.
Also important are product selection, measuring, and installation(including tear out).