Looking for advice on replacement windows in FL

For those self-installers
flmoose

Looking for advice on replacement windows in FL

#1 Post by flmoose »

I am looking to replace the windows in my house and would like some advice about exactly what type windows I should be looking for as well as manufaturer and model reccomendations.

I live in west central FL, specifically Pasco county about one mile from the gulf. My house was built in 1973 and is concrete block & stucco. The existing windows are those nice lovely single pane aluminum awning ones.

I'm looking for LowE windows, but not sure whether aluminum or vinyl would be a better option. I am also interested in a window film coating on my front windows since they face south and deal with a lot of hot FL sun.

Any advice is welcome.

Skydawggy

Re: Looking for advice on replacement windows in FL

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton and PGT come to mind as windows to look at. Both are vinyl and should be fine in the Fla. sun. Not sure of the code requirements in your area if any but, any reputable dealer can advise you. Ask what the Solar Heat Gain rating is on any window you consider. The lower the better. You shouldn't use any kind of film on a double pane glass window as it can cause excessive heat build up and lead to a seal failure of the IG. It would be better to order the windows with tinted glass if you are concerned about excessive heat coming in that side of your house.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Looking for advice on replacement windows in FL

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree.
DH will be cheaper than awning typically, but you will not get as much ventilation.