Installing over existing aluminum frames

For those self-installers
Peak

Installing over existing aluminum frames

#1 Post by Peak »

I'm in NJ and I am in need of new windows to replace my aluminum single pane sliders.
They are terrible! While they don't leak water and they work fine, they let in cold air and noise.
They are the original new construction window frames that I believe are nailed into the sheathing with roofing nails. The house was then sided with T-11 originally but has since been sided with vinyl.

Think tearing the old frames out will cause more harm then good. The frames are rock solid and I know there is no rot in there. So, I believe I can secure stops to the outer most track with screws and caulk and then install vinyl replacements directly against the exterior stop and then I would have to make new interior stops but would have to do that anyway.

I plan on using either Simontons,Xacts or Viwincos. Have not made up my mind.

Am I missing something here?

THank! :P

Windows on Washington

Re: Installing over existing aluminum frames

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What you are referring to is what we call a frame jump. It, when executed properly, is a very good option.

I would recommend that you expand you list of materials to included another good window to compliment the Simonton.

Peak

#3 Post by Peak »

Windows on Washington wrote:What you are referring to is what we call a frame jump. It, when executed properly, is a very good option.

I would recommend that you expand you list of materials to included another good window to compliment the Simonton.
Thanks. It looks like the contractor I picked knows his stuff. I decided to go with the Xact 1680s. It wasn't simpy a price decision either. The Xacts are the only ones offered that use double strength glass. Of course they also seemed to be good value for money.Standard are:
Intercept Spacer
LowE Argon filled
metal reinforced sash rails

Seemed to have some strength features that the others didn't have or didn't state.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Double Strength glass in a default in just about every good window that is made so Xact does not have an advantage in that regard by any stretch.

What other features did they have that you liked?

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

The Xact 1680 is the reborn Bren Mawr window now being made by MI. It is a mid-grade window at best. I looked at one yesterday and was completely unimpressed. I really don't see how you could decide it was a better window than the Simonton. If you were comparing it to the Simonton Prism Platinum you would have found the Simonton offers Super Spacer instead of intercept, 3 grades of LoE glass to match you needs precisley, argon gas, double strength glass, 25 year glass breakage all standard. I would also add that Simonton will make a window up to 56 inches and guarantee it without the need for metal reinforcements (although I would recommend them anyway in a hot clmate). Hopefully you realize that metal reinforcements aren't necessrily an attribute. The Simonton Corp. also has one of the best reputations for customer and warranty service that is second to none.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending, but I really can't see how anyone who wasn't highly motivated by price or was a victim of misinformation and/or incomplete research could have compared the 3 windows and concluded the MI Xact 1680 was the better choice. It is simply another also ran in a large sea of budget conscious window offerings. Simonton blows it away in every catagory.

Peak

#6 Post by Peak »

EcoStar Windows wrote:Sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending, but I really can't see how anyone who wasn't highly motivated by price or was a victim of misinformation and/or incomplete research could have compared the 3 windows and concluded the MI Xact 1680 was the better choice. It is simply another also ran in a large sea of budget conscious window offerings. Simonton blows it away in every catagory.
For my application, the Xacts will work just fine. I have moved and sold homes a few times, perhaps many more times then most people. I have found that NO home buyer asks the brand of replacement windows you used, the brand of roof you had installed. The make of the water heater or furnace. They are both interested and pleased with when those items were replaced and pleased that they even were. So I'm not agonizing over the decision. I have seen the Xacts in other similar installations and they are just fine. But thanks for your input! :)

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

Sure, windows like Xacts have their place in the marketplace. So do no frills appliances, furniture, carpeting etc. My issue is your insinuation that Xact is a better window than a Simonton based on your research which is clearly incomplete and faulty, which has been pointed out to you. You also acknowledge that you were clearly motivated by price and took home buyers lack of knowledge of windows into consideration as a factor. Nothing wrong with that because as I said, windows like this have a place in the market. I get weekly calls from homeowners who purchased houses from people like you and are upset that the windows, which are often only a few years old need to be replaced. It's also interesting to see the progression of your attitude towards Xacts from your first post to the last. What was it you wanted from the Pros on this site?

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

Windows on Washington wrote:What you are referring to is what we call a frame jump. It, when executed properly, is a very good option.

+1

diehard

#9 Post by diehard »

EcoStar Windows wrote:Sure, windows like Xacts have their place in the marketplace. So do no frills appliances, furniture, carpeting etc. My issue is your insinuation that Xact is a better window than a Simonton based on your research which is clearly incomplete and faulty, which has been pointed out to you. You also acknowledge that you were clearly motivated by price and took home buyers lack of knowledge of windows into consideration as a factor. Nothing wrong with that because as I said, windows like this have a place in the market. I get weekly calls from homeowners who purchased houses from people like you and are upset that the windows, which are often only a few years old need to be replaced. It's also interesting to see the progression of your attitude towards Xacts from your first post to the last. What was it you wanted from the Pros on this site?
Pros??? I have not yet got an email from a Pro yet? What do I have to do before I move forward with this?

Skydawggy

#10 Post by Skydawggy »

Where do you live?

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Xact is made by Capital/MI. Their claim to fame would be the builder's grade single hung new construction junk that comprises most of their volume. Most of the the regional and national builders in DE and South Jersey are using this window or a similar window from Patriot. This is the worst window on the market period! By leaps and bounds! What manufacturer what admit to being associated with this business model? A manufacturer that chases the dollar.

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

I suspect NJryder and Diehard are the same person. Apparently he got the password to his older brothers computer again.