Interior Window Sealants that are Removeable?

For those self-installers
N0F3AR

Interior Window Sealants that are Removeable?

#1 Post by N0F3AR »

Ok guys it seems like I have found the Mecca of Windows Geeks--so I hope you will have an answer for me.

I moved into a home that has windows apparently designed to be like screens---that is, they keep little of the cold and wind out even though the rest of the home looks like a million bucks. Since replacing them is costly, we have tried sealing them with a heavy mil plastic and a tape designed to seal between the windowframe and plastic. Believe it or not, it works GREAT--except the plastic blows up like a sail on a ship because of the airflow going on. So I am looking for an interior foam sealant that (1) isn't yellow llike great stuff since the windows are white (2) might actually be removable in the spring in case my fiance decides she wants to open the window in summer and (3) won't damage the function of the windows if we spray seal the corners of these windows in an effort to keep airflow from outside to a minimum.

I have read this thread and it sounds like you guys know your sealants and windows--any suggestions? Oh, one more caveat--the ASSociation (caps intentional) we pay a monthly ransom to does NOT allow external plastic any longer on windows. Last year I used the same heavy plastic and a clear peelable exterior caulk, but the ASSociation didn't like it, so it is no longer an option.

Can someone please suggest a solution? I appreciate any suggestion that seems viable.

Windows on Washington

Re: Interior Window Sealants that are Removeable?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

It does not exist.

You best bet in this case is going to be something like rope caulking or just white masking tape.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Interior Window Sealants that are Removeable?

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You might try some sort of preextruded foam or silicone, but without adhesive, backer rod or a weatherstripping of some sort. And as WOW mentioned rope caulk should work. Anything spray on is going to be to permenant.