PGT windows

For those self-installers
grampy

PGT windows

#1 Post by grampy »

I know that PGT windows are manufactured in Florida but does anyone know the construction difference between the 400 series s/h and the 2300 series d/h all options being the same? Thanks

TLHWINDOWS

Re: PGT windows

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

grampy wrote:I know that PGT windows are manufactured in Florida but does anyone know the construction difference between the 400 series s/h and the 2300 series d/h all options being the same? Thanks

The 400 Series frame is aluminum re-enforced and has less chambers. You can also get the 400 in multiple configurations, lie with or without a Nail fin, with an extruded fin, J-channel or just a buck frame. The 400 is tax credit available with a certian LoE package, but is a fairly expensive window because of the build.

The 2300 is their SpectraGuard series. It is built as a multi-chambered frame window, similar to existing replacement windows. They use a heavier vinyl to help with sturdyness. It comes with a fully aluminum re-enforced sash (which is why some sizes do not qualify for the tax credit). It only comes as a straight buck frame. Double strengh glass, 7/8" air gap.

The 2300 is a really nice window, right there with the Simonton 5500 series. The vinyl windows are actually made in North Carolina.

grampy

#3 Post by grampy »

Well I have a quote for the 400 series with the solarban 70 xl pkg for the following sizes of $1400 un installed:
(3) 36x 62
(2) 25x 62
(1) 52x62
I think this would be a good window for Florida.
Any thoughts on them would be appreciated.

TLHWINDOWS

#4 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

First, just so I understand, the price is NOT installed, right?

the 400 is a great window. But remember it was built as a Hurricane window and then the glass dumbed down for regular installs, which is why it is more expensive than the 2360. You may not get Double strength glass with a 400, there is nothing wrong with that but just make sure you are aware.

I've sold a few 400, mostly because we needed a new construction fin with J-channel and for it to meet the Tax Credit as well (most new construction style windows do not meet the criteria).

IF you are looking for a replacement window and don't need the extra re-enforcement in the frame, take a hard look at the 2360 (remember it has the fully re-enforced sash). I use it here in N. Florida all the time. The Price should be around 175-195 with either SB60 or 70 NOT installed. I sell mine for around $260 installed.

TLHWINDOWS

#5 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

P.S. Grampy,
were about in Florida are you? Don't need you address, but a general Idea. $just did the math and $1400 (white, grids, LoE) for those is a good deal.

grampy

#6 Post by grampy »

Thanks TLHWindow, I have both quotes NOT installed:
The 2360 D/H would be $1488

The 400 S/H would be $1530
Just wondering which would be the best window vz price?

They would have the Solarban 70xl
white grids
argon gas
Wish I was a little closer to you at $260 installed would be a very good price.
I am in Pasco County Port Richey area

TLHWINDOWS

#7 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I don't want to over ride anyone, but I have a distributor point down there that I may be able to get you a better price if you want. I'm checking the price right now.

Personally I would go with the 2360 unless you want a better wind rating (not that much better, but better).

But the 2360 has a better overall build if you don't need the flanges and just want a buck style frame. The glass is double strength and the frame has more channels for better insulation. It is also a very nice astetics with a warmer wood feel (it has grooves in the frame work and the sashes).

Let me know.

grampy

#8 Post by grampy »

Well I really am not dealing with any installer at this time so there would be no problem with any suggestions from you that would help me. Just wanted to be clear on the better window.So you feel the 2360 would be a better joice which is OK with me. Can I ask who you deal through in my area?

grampy

#9 Post by grampy »

That price you sent me for the 2360 window is that installed in your area?

TLHWINDOWS

#10 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

No, with installation would run about 1750, plus the permit.

grampy

#11 Post by grampy »

That is a very good price and I don't think I could get that here.

grampy

#12 Post by grampy »

Naples is quite a distance from here almost a three hour drive which is a lot to ask.

grampy

#13 Post by grampy »

TLH, Just got off the phone with PGT and they are saying the 2200 series window is what I would need for stucco install. Wish you were in my area to clear this up.

grampy

#14 Post by grampy »

TLH what do you mean by buck install? Does that mean the opening has to have wood frame before installing the window?

TLHWINDOWS

#15 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

grampy wrote:TLH what do you mean by buck install? Does that mean the opening has to have wood frame before installing the window?
Not by code, we might buck a window if we are doing interior trim to make it easier, but it is not needed.