Anderson windows at HD?

For those self-installers
nina98765

Anderson windows at HD?

#1 Post by nina98765 »

I am not sure if this question is in the right place because it is regarding "new construction" windows (I think!). So I apologize in advance if it's not the right place.

I am finishing my garage into a playroom. I want to remove the garage door and frame the space and put two windows in. Because it is new framing etc I believe I should be looking at new construction windows as opposed to replacement windows.

That said, my first instinct was to go to Lowes or HD, but I stumbled upon your site and now I am wary. However, also from your site I have gleaned that Anderson is a good quality window. HD website shows Anderson windows for sale there. Are they a different quality than the ones sold elsewhere?

If anyone can direct me to a good windows company or a good place to get windows I would greatly appreciate it. (I will have a general contractor do the framing, install the windows, do the siding etc. all at once.) I should also mention that I am on a very tight budget so not looking for top-of-the-line.

Thank you so much.
Nina (in New Jersey)

Windows on Washington

Re: Anderson windows at HD?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What makes for a good window, regardless of insert (i.e. replacement), also translates to new construction.

The only difference between insert and new construction in most cases is the nailing flange and resultant attachment method.

If you are going to side the exterior of the home, I would strong recommend a window with an integral nailing flange and j-channel. This will give you the most seamless look and save you labor time (if only slightly).

Simonton does make a window like this as well as most replacement style windows can be outfitted with a clip in nailing flange and j-channel accessory.

Are you planing on changing the other windows in the home at anytime? Just wondering because it might make sense to stay congruent on the exterior.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Andersen windows are the same quality no mater where you buy them.
What size, color and options on the windows?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Just to clarify what you've seen, the Andersen wood products are pretty well regarded. Anderson vinyl is not at all... Has you contractor made a recommendation? He likely purchases from a building supply house, and they should have something decent. A few good windows available through distribution are Gorell, Softlite, Simonton, and Great Lakes.