Question about these parts that came with window

For those self-installers
DIYMIKE

Question about these parts that came with window

#1 Post by DIYMIKE »

So my father ordered some windows and he is not sure where these parts go or what they are for. Maybe the window guru''s could point me in the right direction.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by DIYMIKE on Mon May 21, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Question about these parts that came with window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The one on the left is a sill/frame expander and the one on the right is a header expander.

Show me a picture of the window openings where they are going and I will tell you what they are used for or if necessary.

The sill/frame expander is designed to cover the gap on the bottom between a sloped wood window sill and the flat bottom of the frame.

Header expander is used to absorb and hide inconsistencies in the opening as well as hide the interior accessory groove if you don't have a stop at the head of the window.

DIYMIKE

#3 Post by DIYMIKE »

I was going to try and take a picture but with the sun coming through it didn't turn out. There is interior stops on the sides and top but not one on the bottom. Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks for the help.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

If it was measured correctly, you don't need the header expander.

DIYMIKE

#5 Post by DIYMIKE »

Thanks for your help. One more question. These windows comes with "Jamb Jacks", Do I still need to shim the windows or not.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes.

Windows, if possible, should be shimmed behind fasteners when you are a DIY'er.

Some guys don't use them if they are really good and foam after the fact but they never hurt.

Get some spray foam or make sure you seal up the outside real well against air loss between the frame and the home.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

That's a nice DH window, Sunrise. One of the best. If the windows are a little to short in height and you're going to consider installing the head expander, you could try shimming the corners up which may get the head and accessory groove hidden behind the top stop.

If the width of the window was measured just right, you may only need a slight couple of turns on those jamb jacks. Look for the weatherstripping and the meeting rails tightening up as you turn the jacks in a positive manner. Your don't want to over tighten those jacks as it will case problems with sashes raising and lowering smoothly.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the other comments. I avoid the use of the head expander unless absolutely necessary. The sill angle/expander otoh, is used on most of our jobs. Some guys prefer to run their metal right into the exterior accessory groove, but I prefer to use the piece provided.