Exterior Trim for Replacement Windows with new Siding

For those self-installers
littlegirlbighammer

Exterior Trim for Replacement Windows with new Siding

#1 Post by littlegirlbighammer »

Hey all! My husband and I are fairly handy DIYers. We recently replaced eight very old single hung wood windows with double hung vinyl ones in our 1890s farm house. We also replaced all three doors and figured while we were at it, we'd go ahead and redo the siding. (It all kinda snowballed - don't ask)! Ha.

Anyway. All of the window replacement is done, as well as the doors. The house is wrapped. We sided one face of the house that had only a new door, which already had the bullnose (I think that's what it's called) trim already included. Our problem is that we don't know what to do about the window trim. We have J-channel and understand how all that works. We would like a wider trim, however, around the windows as we're going for a Craftsman-ish feel. Without doing the aluminum trim (which I kinda hate and I don't have access to a brake table or tools), how in the heck do we trim out the windows? They're currently fairly flush with the outside of the house and we have taped around them to provide water sealant.

We priced PVC trim, which is ridiculously priced and sticks out really far. Are there any other options that will hold up and don't cost $5 a foot? We have 27 windows and 3 doors to trim around :) Thanks so much for any info!!!

littlegirlbighammer

Re: Exterior Trim for Replacement Windows with new Siding

#2 Post by littlegirlbighammer »

This is an example of one of the windows. The doors are good, but we're stuck on the windows. Thanks!
Attachments
575521_3093933907843_2007777292_n.jpg
(82.14 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Be sure to check as they make PVC boards in different thicknesses.

You could rip down and install some plywood at the thickness you want and cap it with a trim brake.

littlegirlbighammer

#4 Post by littlegirlbighammer »

Thanks for the response. They do have a 1"x4" PVC Board, which would work well, but it will cost over $1000 just for the trim with 27 windows :) That's the same cost as all the siding for the entire house! I was just wondering if there were any other options! Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Unfortunately the PVC is not cheap. Such is the cost of going maintenance free.

The other less maintenance intensive approach is as I mentioned.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As WOW said you could rip 3/4" or 5/8" CDX plywood to 3 1/2" strips.
Frame windows with the strips and then cap. Rent a brake for the weekend and get 2 24" x 50' rolls of coil.
Another option is wide J channel, mastic had a 2 1/2" window trim(j channel).
the window nerd

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I would sub out the brake work to an experienced brake person. This can be overly complicated trying to figure it out especially for more detailed work.If done wrong you will have water problems and will look like sh_t.I think Menards has vinyl trim with a J channel built in, but you'll need something cutom ripped for a sill unless you picture framed it.I am not a big fan of aluminum wrapped trim but it does look proper with vinyl siding and many colors are available.