DIY: Wool Fin Pile Weatherstripping Replacement

For those self-installers
graybeard47

DIY: Wool Fin Pile Weatherstripping Replacement

#1 Post by graybeard47 »

I need to replace my wool pile fin weather stripping (example of: http://www.swisco.com/Gray-3-16/pd/Wool-Pile/58-021 ) on a few of my windows but the installation of the old is not as simple, as some manufacturers have clips at the ends that are removed for easy strip handling. My end slots are solid but YouTube has a video clip titled "Replacing Weatherstripping: Helpful video from Window Depot USA" for my type of replacement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1nnAtm55c. However, the spline tool is not shown well when it's used & I can only assume that the tool is wide & concave: one edge appears to insert itself on the pile weatherstripping and the side rides on the frame of the window.

Has anyone actually done this repair using the above video technique?

Another technique shows drilling a hole in the strip channel but not keen at all on it.

Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: DIY: Wool Fin Pile Weatherstripping Replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I does not look to be a standard screen spline tool to me but perhaps it is.

If they are really a PITB, I have opened up the end weld before and slid them in. If done properly, it doesn't damage the window.

graybeard47

#3 Post by graybeard47 »

Windows on Washington wrote:I does not look to be a standard screen spline tool to me but perhaps it is.

If they are really a PITB, I have opened up the end weld before and slid them in. If done properly, it doesn't damage the window.
I need some help as to the term "PITB".

The end weld on these windows is the 45 degree junction seam of each of the sides of the frame that is melded together when it is made. If one opens this channel, what keeps the new placed weather stripping from sliding out at this end as the window is opened or closed?

Thank you

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

PITB = Pain in the Bdonk-a-donk

You can use a small dab of silicone to secure the weatherstripping