Hi all. Newbie question

For those self-installers
Joey25

Hi all. Newbie question

#1 Post by Joey25 »

Has anyone converted old wood non tilt windows to tilt?
I have been replacing jamb liners because of broken springs ect and thought why couldn't you install hardware top and bottom and a tilt jambliner. Can it be done?

If I were staying I would replace the windows but that is not an option right now

Thanks in advance
Joe

Windows on Washington

Re: Hi all. Newbie question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on the window.

Anything is possible with the right amount of $$

Post up a picture of the window in question. Zoom in on the balance.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Couple of thoughts come to mind...
If you are reusing your existing sash they would have to be cut down in the width for the new tilt/turn jambliner.
You could do sash replacement kits that provide new sash and jambliner. In some situations this is an easy project. I am never sure of the total outcome because everything is not addressed as a system for energy savings. But it often meets the need of the home owner.
As an example AW has a sash conversion kit that provides new sash and jambliner to convert the old Narrowlines to tilt n wash, plus you can get low e argon glazing packages.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

By the Op's comment of "If I were staying", I'd assume cost is a major factor for him. I agree that sash packs sound like a good solution, but at a cost similar to replacements (sometimes more sometimes less), I don't know if it fits the bill.

I'd add that as WOW stated, ANYTHING can be done for a price. That said, it would take a pretty substantial effort to undertake something like this. Probably not worth it IMO, especially if you are not staying in the home.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that the OP has more time than money and that sash replacement kits or even reasonable vinyl is not in the cards.