Cold weather window caulk recommendations

For those self-installers
igids1

Cold weather window caulk recommendations

#1 Post by igids1 »

What are some quality window caulks that would be ok for sub 40 temperatures? I live in MASS, and the temps here have been running in the 20's and 30's. I've read the OSI quad is good for outside, but how will it be in these colder temps?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Cold weather window caulk recommendations

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

All solvent based caulks will work in the colder temps. You just need to get the tubes warm prior to applying them but that is more so from the standpoint of application ease.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

"Quad is god."
" In quad we trust." Lol
Yes, quad is what we use. As my buddy said, warm it up first.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In extreme cold you could have trouble with the caulk adhering to the cold surface.
Read the tube for cold slag temperatures.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The new Quad max and Geocel SWD has a lower recommended temp range but Is hard to find in anything but white. Silicone is always easy gun but has a wide range recommended use depending on which manufacture. It is also limited in colors and I would only use it on vinyl to vinyl , aluminum to vinyl and aluminium to aluminum. You want to use a quality caulk gun with a sufficient lever ratio. A lever ratio of 12:1 is recommended for Quad, a higher ratio might be better this time of year. Any caulk gun will push silicone easily, but a good gun is always recommended.