How do I make this window square?

For those self-installers
igids1

How do I make this window square?

#1 Post by igids1 »

I just installed my first replacement OKNA window. I took my time, checked for plumb level and square (or so I thought). Everything looked pretty close, but not perfect. I caulked the stops inside (before setting window in place) and outside after it was in place.
The window opens and closes just fine.

However, I noticed when I open a sash about 2 inches, that the opening is not even, on side ends up with a larger opening gap than the other. I believe this is called the reveal? It is evident on both the top sash and bottom sash. So obviously I have something off somewhere. I did not insulate the window yet. It is just screwed and caulked. Is there a way to correct this without taking the whole window back out? Do I need to reshim something?

Thanks

Delaware Mike

Re: How do I make this window square?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like your existing wood sill is out of level and now the window is sitting out of square in terms of how it may be positioned in the hole even if when a level is put on multiple spots it reads fine on the vinyl window. Remove the anchors/screws and jamb jacks along with the caulking and stops. Make sure you have room atop of the new window for vertical shimming. Raise bottom sash about 3/16" to 5/16" to the sill dam to show reveal. Whatever side has the bigger reveal will need to be shimmed up.

I personally will use like a #3 straight screwdriver or some sort of light to medium duty wonder/pry bar to achiever the desired shim. Once the reveal is even you can cut a shim or use the pry bar tension to hold at that elevation until anchors are set (all 4 of them).

Getting the bottom reveal is only part of the equation. You need to achieve the same even reveal and the meeting rails of the top and bottom sash and to the head pocket. Side to side jamb to sash contact plays into this as well. By shimming over the top of the window very slightly one can balance out the meeting rail and top reveals if needed. One must be careful to not cause misalignment of the locks to their keepers too.

Once all anchors are tightened correctly and I'm about to inject the low-expansion spray foam to the area under the sill is only when I'll remove my prying device. When I remove this I pay close attention to make sure that the window doesn't drop back down which would have indicated that proper torque was placed on the anchors. The foam will help hold the shimmed low side to that elevation along with the anchors for a lifetime. You could always place any kind of shim under the low end and leave there.

Sometimes we have to put the levels away and work with what the window reveals and sash operation is telling you from a visual perspective.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Great advice from Mike. That said, installing a window properly is much more difficult than many think. Thats why it is usually a good idea to pay a few bucks and have a true pro perform the installation. If you dont do this everyday and dont ever plan on doing it for a living, i seriously suggest finding a good window company. Since you started, follow Mike's advice, he is as good as it gets.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Mike's a true pro, great advice.

Key points in my opinion are separating the sash to frame reveal of the new window from the new window to old trim reveal. The former is crucial. It is imperative that the new window is installed square, even if it is not perfectly plumb and level. The latter is only aesthetic. Personally, I'd advise to toss the level and just go by eye from scratch. The Okna product is pretty well dialed in even before installation, so you are probably over doing it and actually throwing things out of whack as such. Set it in the opening, check reveals precisely as Mike described, and secure. At this point you'll probably need to cut that caulk bead loose to be able to move things around.

igids1

#5 Post by igids1 »

Thanks for the advice. I cut everything back out and shimmed up one side. Everything looks much better now, as far as the the reveal and meeting rails go.

In order to get everything squared up, the top left of the replacement window frame is basically pushed all the way up against the top left jamb, and the bottom is pushed very close to the right side.

Is there any trick to getting insulation in those corners now? I purchased the OSI henkel spray gun, with the small tip, but even that will not fit in between the spaces in the corners.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

If the spacing is too small all that you may hope to do at that point is to take some fiberglass insulation with a thin putty knife and kind of push it carefully past the interior face of the frame into the offset of the new window's jamb. I then caulk the vinyl window to the wood jamb prior to installing the stops. Nothing will get by air wise. That's how we did things prior to low-expansion foam and pro guns. Well, most guys did nothing but the good ones at least attempted to draft block and insulate

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Pretty common occurrence actually.