DIY Install Questions (Pictures)

For those self-installers
AllGoNoShow

DIY Install Questions (Pictures)

#1 Post by AllGoNoShow »

I've done a bunch of windows on my past houses (but the cheaper Home Depot variety) but have a couple questions relative to installing windows on my new house. I will be installed either PlyGem Pro/Premium or Simonton 5500s.

1. My one window is a casement window and it appears to have 4 different "steps" in the interior casing and I have no idea which one to measure from to get my measurements to order the new window. Picture is attached. The rest are double hung which are easy to measure.

2.Existing windows are single pane with storm windows on the outside. The exterior wrapping job they did on the trim looks very well done but it is just wrapped up to the storms and then caulked. Obviously when I remove the storm windows the exterior side of the blind stop will be exposed wood. Do I have to get the whole windows re-wrapped or is it normal to just get an L-piece and cover the exterior of the blind stop and caulk the inside corner where this L-piece meets the old wrap? Picture attached.

3. The sills are fully wrapped in aluminum and extend under the storm all the way to the interior. Can I sit the bottom of the new window/sill adapter directly on the existing sill which is wrapped or should I remove some of the aluminum to expose the wood?

Any help specific to installing the above brands would be helpful too. Thanks!
Attachments
IntCasement.jpg
(134.71 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
OutWindowL.jpg
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 635 times

Delaware Mike

Re: DIY Install Questions (Pictures)

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

1. My one window is a casement window and it appears to have 4 different "steps" in the interior casing and I have no idea which one to measure from to get my measurements to order the new window. Picture is attached. The rest are double hung which are easy to measure. I would open the casement sash up and look behind the stops to see what wood is applied by means of brad nailing and what appears to be part of the millwork of the frames. Anything that can be just taken off with smaller pry bars and a softener would need to be cut out which is a nightmare. Typically, when the sash is open you may see a continuation of one of the steps that is part of the master frame. Measure from there.

2.Existing windows are single pane with storm windows on the outside. The exterior wrapping job they did on the trim looks very well done but it is just wrapped up to the storms and then caulked. Obviously when I remove the storm windows the exterior side of the blind stop will be exposed wood. Do I have to get the whole windows re-wrapped or is it normal to just get an L-piece and cover the exterior of the blind stop and caulk the inside corner where this L-piece meets the old wrap? Picture attached.That stop will look terrible once the storm frame is removed. You will see layers of paint, caulk, and holes from the screws. If it were my house I would want a whole new capping job on the windows which may be hard to find someone to come out at a reasonable price for just that. If you can match up the aluminum I guess that you could bend up just simple "L" profile and back caulk/clad it on the stop but then it's going to need a face bead to the brick molding to seal. I prefer a one-piece capping leg and header.

3. The sills are fully wrapped in aluminum and extend under the storm all the way to the interior. Can I sit the bottom of the new window/sill adapter directly on the existing sill which is wrapped or should I remove some of the aluminum to expose the wood? you can set the insert atop the sill wrap. We like to insulate this space with the correct formula of low-expansion foam for best results. Try not to fill so much that you have to remove foam in order to properly apply the sill angle adapter.

AllGoNoShow

#3 Post by AllGoNoShow »

Thanks for the reply. So what is the normal measure to undersize the window from the rough opening? Ive seen 1/4 inch and other manufacturers say 3/8th. I measured my openings and the height comes in like a 1/16 of an inch under 53 3/4th (i assume it is just under because of the thickness of the aluminum wrapping on the sill).

Am i fine sizing the windows to 53 1/2? Frames are square and exactly that size everywhere. I am also going to be installing them from the inside (trim already needs to get painted), and so i have to get over the 5/8th ledge from the interior window stool. Does this have an effect on how i want to size them? Should i go smaller than 53 1/2?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

what is the make sizes for the new windows, every 1/8 or 1/4?
does the new window have a trimable leg on it?
53 1/2 may be a little tight to place in the opening due to the diagonal inserting. if the bottom or top is trimable on the new window you can order 53.5 and trim the interior lower leg if needed.