Self Install Dilema

For those self-installers
Roadkyng

Self Install Dilema

#1 Post by Roadkyng »

Greetings,

looking to do a self install of vinyl windows in my brick veneer home (North Texas area). I have the tools and have been doing the research. One thing that seems evident is the regulars here do not like anything carried by HD or Lowe's, or at least they are considered lower end of the scale. However it appears many of the negatives found have much to do with poor installation. The problem with going higher end is these manufacturers and their distributers don't like to sell to homeowners.

So the question is, if you choose the best window that can be had by an individual and do a competent job of install, how long can they last and be effective? I've looked at Reliabilt, Pella, Anderson, Jeld-Wen and know none of those brands are very well thought of here. But I cannot believe there are not decent products out there for the self installer. Heck the upgraded windows we installed at build only lasted 11 years before the seals went out. I need a decent window at an affordable price. An example I was quoted at Lowe's for a 24x84 single sash was $314 for the Pella and $184 for a Reliabilt 3201. I would pay up to $400 if I knew the quality was worth it but if I cannot buy the better window due to OEM policies I'm stuck with lower tier.

Thanks for your time

Windows on Washington

Re: Self Install Dilema

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Simonton window is not a terrible option by any stretch and is available at Home Depot. Stay with the upper series (5500 - 6500 in the HD series) and you should be fine.

You can also check with the local supply houses and see who they have access to.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Get out of the box stores and go to a local building supply house/ lumber yard for some better choices.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote:+1. Get out of the box stores and go to a local building supply house/ lumber yard for some better choices.
I agree. And by "building supply house", we mean places like ABC Supply that sell siding and roofing, etc. mainly to the contractors and subcontractors in your area. They will also sell to you if you say you're installing them yourself.